Are there any complications with surgery with having GA on the area of the surgery?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am about ready to have knee replacement surgery. My surgeon is concerned about doing surgery on a site where I have spots of GA? Anyone have issues with infection or healing after surgery?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I did not have any infection from my knee replacement surgery & my GA did not begin until a few years after but strangely, I think, all of my knee scars (3 surgeries including the replacement) became covered with granulomas as if perhaps a lack of circulation in the scar tissue made it more susceptible to the outbreak in those locations. In addition, my first one was on the side of the knee that was replaced and they travelled down my leg and across my knee from there.

I did have a difficult time with it healing, not the incisions but inside the knee which stayed very swollen & achy for a long time.  Not at all like my hip replacement which healed very quickly & was pain free in less than 2 monhs.

Good luck with the surgery.  Even though it was a tough recovery, it was worth it to have the replacement.

Patty

• Posted

Hello there.

I have had GA for about 33 years. I have them all over my abdomen. I have had 3 c-sections, a hysterectomy and weight loss surgery where they have cut through several of my spots. I have never had any problems with infections or anything like that due to the GA.

I wish you the best of luck on your surgery,

Michelle

• Posted

I don't know about surgery, that's a good question. I'm interested in your info about steroid injections. I do remember last Christmas I was sick and received a steroid shot. The rash subsided. It would be a lot easier than the cream. It is on so much of my body its exhaust I g to apply twice daily. Also it thins the skin after awhile. I'm sure there are side effects as well with injections as well but its worth a try. Thanks again and good luck, we all need it and stick together to come up with a common cure!
    • Posted

Sabrina, I just had surgery for a knee replacement. My dermatologist told the surgeon that it would not interfere with surgery. My skin and recovery are doing well! Hope that helps!
  • Posted

I will be having ankle surgery I the future. Thanks, that's a question for my doctors.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.