Are there any new developments on ETD and how long it usually takes for this to clear up

Posted , 4 users are following.

Been dealing with ETD for about 5 weeks now I've been to my regular doctor into an AT&T have had all the same medicines everyone else's had just wanted to know if there is a light at the end of the tunnel

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

The light will be the good days! So sorry you too are dealing..steam breathing, steroid spray, nose excercises, are all I know to do and I am still suffering..some days better than others..I was feeling pretty good, then these few damp, foggy, cold days, it hit again. This time like fluttering in one of my ears..horrible..I just know it will leave soon and then I can have a good day or two b4 it hits again..ear fullness, hearing heartbeat in ear, the noise sensitivity..ahhhh.it's no fun for sure....hope your good days are soon..wink

• Posted

Hello Joyce,  may I ask are you in England ?

If so I recommend everyone gets prescribe

what I'm currently using.

Sadly, ETD can last for months and months

and in my case years and years...but at least

at the moment I see to be on top of it.

I usually suffer with my left ear, however,

yesterday I had a bad episode with my

right one.

As I hadn't had to use my medication for

at least a week, that was the reason it started

up again.  So only uncomfortable for a day

and today good again.  I will now start using

the Nasule Drops every 4 days to keep on

top of the ETD.

Anne

• Posted

Anne, I was also doin much better and then the weather got damp and foggy and my opposite ear started fluttering like crazy. Also, last nite I didn't take my spray, and then this morning my head started feeling g pressure and weird again. Looks like I may have ro take the steroid spray all the time now. I worry tho about side effects..

• Posted

Morning Terrie,

Weather condition affect me too.  Yes, you do need to continue using the

Steroid Spray properly, as it has to build up in your system....well not

system exactly, but the area it needs to go.  It doesn't go into our 

blood streams.

I've been using these different steroid sprays for years and years and

many people do that suffer ETD, Sinusitis and Allergic Rhinitis.

Once you stop using it the problem will start all over again.

Anne

• Posted

No we don't live in England but we do live in Oregon by the coast probably this pretty much the same thing

• Posted

Going back to my ET D today just wondering if anyone has flown with this problem my husband and I are supposed to take a trip Friday to California and any suggestions on how to handle it
  • Posted

Also bought the earplanes and wondering if anyone out there has use those when flying with ETD
    • Posted

Hello Joyce,

I haven't flown in 5 yrs due to ETD.  I saw my NHS ENT consultant 2 weeks ago and

ask him would I be ok to fly again.  He sent me for a hearing test, which also included

an air pressure test....my ears weren't good.

However, I always used to use Earplanes, would never fly without them, they do little

to stop my ears from blocking, but once off the plane I popped them and I wasn't too

bad....I think they'd play up a little for a couple of days, but always managed to pop

them.  I'm now on stronger nose drops, that really help me with ETD.  Yesterday I

had a bad episode with my right ear usually it's my left.  I hadn't had to use them for

a week, so that's why it blocked...I used the nose drops, after 5 mins managed to pop

them and been good ever since.  The longest I'm able to go is just under a week,

then things become bad.  So I'm wondering, as I'd like a holiday abroad this year, 

if I use the drops before flying and immediately after I maybe ok....trial and error.

Because I've had many perforations in my left eardrum over the past few years it

has worried me about flying again.  I guess it's a chance you'll have to take and

see.  But, my daughter thinks the larger the plane, less air pressure...sadly 

mine will be a smallish one only going to Spain from England.

Kind regards

Anne

• Posted

Flying tomorrow from Oregon to California. My ENT said it would be ok. 2 hour flight can't suggestions. He said Afrin before getting on plane and I'm going to try Earplanes. Thanks

• Posted

Good luck and enjoy.  Let me know how your ears are, then I'll decide what to do

come Summer.  We have friends that have their own place in Spain and keeps nagging

me to go out there.  I'll wait for your message to see how you feel.

Have a nice time.

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.