Are there any strategies to avoid prostate regrowth after any procedure like PAE, GreenLight, etc.?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was lurking on some BPH forums and I come to a message where a person claimed that one of the best strategies to avoid prostate regrowth after a procedure, was to take Finasteride 1mg each three days to avoid unwanted sidfe effects.

Unfortunately the person didn´t point to any medical information to back his message.

Any thoughts?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Finasteride is supposed to shrink the prostate if it's really large, and it will probably end up making you impotent.

• Posted

Holep

0.7 for HOLEP but I think it's really 2%

• Posted

Some urologists in the UK and possibly elsewhere say that to prevent future growth.

I had GL on my 75 grm prostate in 2004 and it had regrown to 135 grm by 2013. Perhaps if I had taken Finasteride/Avordart it might not have.

• Posted

Have been on Finasteride for 2 years now since TURP, and now Prostate has grown to a size where they shortly want to resection again, so that proves to me it does not stop growth, must be the only thing that is growing at 74.
    • Posted

Don't think there will be any choice with NHS. They want to do a biopsy at the same time and possibly circumcision but all will be dependant on staying in hospital for at least 36 hours after as had Sepsis with the last biopsy and NHS24 did not recognise it.

• Posted

There is choice on the NHS if you insist on it and also where you have it done.

I refused PVP in 2004 in Edinburgh and told them I wanted to go to Newcastle where they were doing PVP trials. A friend in the Highlands refused a TURP in Inverness and insisted on being referred to Kings College. They also paid his expenses for the initial consultation and for going  for the procedure and his follow up. I think they stopped paying for expenses.

In Kent to reduce waiting times they allow patients to go over to Calais for operations.

• Posted

Derek,   I already have had a battle to get a second opinion at the Western in Edinburgh as Tayside refused until I started the Appeals procedure, so I am looking to their advice as well as Tayside. It really is a farce calling it  National Health Service in Scotland as it is really only a local Health Service as they claim they have no money to spend elsewhere, as am on a 12 month waiting list for a new knee also.
    • Posted

I remember your problem now from earlier posts.It was the Western I attended. When I said that I wanted laser surgery they referred me to Dundee but they just did a rough and ready Holmium laser procedure that the consutlant agreed was nothing like PVP.

Back then Ayr were doing the Gyrus laser version that had a years waiting time.

When I was in Scotland I was quoted three years for a dermatology appointment.

• Posted

Is it possible, controlling estradiol/estrogen, with a balanced hormone therapy to avoid prostate regrowth?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.