Are there any success stories with Rectocele repair?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I’ve heard so many negative comments about this. I am trying to be positive but it’s getting more difficult everyday. It’s almost making me regret my decision to have the repair. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Have you had the repair yet? I'm having the same problem and I don't know what to decide....

• Posted

Yes Nina she has had her surgery and is beginning to regret it.x
  • Posted

I had a posterior repair (plus anterior, vaginal hysterectomy and sacrospinous fixation). 

Of the two repairs the rectocele is the most successful, it took a long time to heal, but it’s really strong now. 💕

• Posted

Hi Sandi 

I had recto with new mesh plus other areas. 

The recto is great 8 weeks post op.  Bowel functioning is back to normal but healing has been a major priority for me so rest rest rest with very short regular times on feet.

How many weeks post op are you Sandi?

• Posted

Hi Peta

You said you had a rectocele repair with Mesh? Please could you tell me how was the operation done ( transvaginally or laparoscopic or transabdominally) and if you know what Mash did they use? Here ina Croatia they use TiLoop mesh (polypropylene with covalently bonded titanised surface) to repair rectocele. But after hearing all the negative about the Mash on this site I'm freaking out and I think I'm going to give up on doing the op.

• Posted

Sandy J & myself had the same surgery date

• Posted

Hi Sandy

I put off having the op for about 4 years. Each time I had researched the Consultant on the internet as I needed to have confidence in whoever was going to do the repair.

I travelled to London to see the first one who had a world class reputation (I asked my G.P. To refer me). I was booked for surgery then I had a letter to say the department was being closed & I would be transferred to another clinic at a different London Hospital. That was the end of that!

I then went locally at Southmead hospital in Bristol. The young lady Consultant had no bedside manner & I felt that she was not the one for me. End of that!

After another long wait, my G.P. referred me to a gynaecologist physiotherapist at St. Michaels in Bristol. Whilst under her care she mentioned a Consultant named Mrs Caroline Overton who she said was wonderful. The physio referred me to her. She was everything I could have wished for, reassuring, confident, experienced, caring & more!

I booked to have the enterocele & rectocele repair but when the date came through we were going to be away & couldn’t cancel. The date was rearranged but the next time I was still not ready in my mind to have the op. Then I had the devastating news that Mrs Overton was retiring from the NHS after 30 years! I was so upset!! I removed myself from the waiting list & decided to put up with the prolapses .

Then, my daughter told me I was going to be a grannie & I decided to take a loan & see Mrs Overton privately. I had the op almost a month ago & touch wood everything is going well. I was in hospital for 2 nights & came home with tramadol, ibuprofen & paracetamol. I was off the tramadol within 2 days & the others I took for about a week to be sure I didn’t suffer pain.

I pottered around the house as instructed for the first 2 weeks. My husband took me out in the car in the first week to see something different than 4 walls & I was shattered afterwards.

I still get tired after I have had a short walk or walked round the supermarket with someone else doing all the lifting.

The swelling around the outside of my vagina went down after about 2 weeks and it looks ‘normal’ now!

Mrs Overton did an internal examination a week after the op & she said everything was in the right place. Hopefully, it still will be in 6 weeks.

I understand exactly how nervous you are about the op, do you know who will be doing it? It was very important to me to know who was doing mine. I would not have gone ahead if I hadn’t met the person beforehand.

I hope my positive experience helps you decide what to do.

Best wishes & apologies for the longest reply!

• Posted

I have just seen that you have had the surgery & regretting it. 

😢

How many weeks ago? Can I ask why you are regretting it? X

• Posted

I am 4 weeks post op. I am more swollen than ever. I absolutely had to get groceries last night and I had to make my husband pay while I went out and sat in the truck. I feel asleep with an ice pack and woke up a lot less swollen but I still have a full feeling in the vagina that really bothers me.
    • Posted

Hi Sandy

How are you getting on? I hope things are improving for you.

Jennie

• Posted

Hi Sandy - it can take a longer to feel the benefits but hopefully you find it worth it. I had rectocele, cystocele and SSF 6 months ago. Prior to the op I couldn't empty my bowels easily and then my bowels would just leak faeces several times a day. My bladder couldn't empty easily and I was filling up with fluids. The first 5 weeks post op I could have cried everyday as I recovered from the surgery, I started to feel the benefits of proper working bowel and bladder by about 6-8 weeks and gradually internal tissues healed and settled, I gradually gained more stamina to sit, walk, stand, do more normal activities 8 - 12 weeks and by 16 weeks I felt pretty damned good and positive. I am 6 months post op and getting on with life and feeling well. It has been a while since I was last on the forum but I thought I should check back in as I know as I did, ladies will be likely waiting for surgery or post surgery and frightened and worried, sometimes its good to have people come back and say it can and does work! So far so good for me after 3 months - so good luck to you there will be a rainbow after the rain xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.