Are there 'starting' symptoms to TN?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Quick story short. Had bad sinus issues since May. Some of the symptoms are nostril pain (my nostrils are swollen) and upper back teeth pain which radiate to the front when lying down.

The last few days I've had tingling sensations on the left side of my face from my temple to lower jaw bone. My nose gets blocked constantly.

Although my GP has put them down to allergies, TN has always played on my mind. There is no severe face pain just discomfort. Pain in teeth though can be bad. Is there a 'starting point' of symptoms or do they come on right away?ie do the pains in face have to be terrible from the start ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

They can start small and seem to be related to your teeth so a lot of people go to the dentist first. It does depend on which GP you see as some do not have much experience of TN. The TN association UK is always well worth a look at the website is www.tna.org.UK. There are a few drugs they could try for you they do have side effects but these vary how much they effect different people. There is always the possibility that this might be two different things the best thing is to check with your dentist first and then go back to your GP.I hope you get some answers.
    • Posted

Thank you Linda I am booking a dentist appointment this week. I'll see what comes of it but hope it's not TN.

• Posted

Hi, with me I got no warning it just hit me, I put a bit of food in my mouth and suddenly I was on my knees with the most excruciating pain ever,but everyone is different,hope u get more replies,I'd love to read them too...lol
  • Posted

Thanks both. This week I have a GP appointment and dentist.later on. The only saving grace.for me at the moment is I have bad sinus problems and I have a small white swelling upper left of.my wisdom tooth bit no actual tooth pain. Thursday night I couldn't lye on either cheek as I believe them to be swollen. I think it''s one of three things, sinus related, upper tooth /gum problem or the dreaded TN. Will find out.soon I suppose.
  • Posted

I have just written something to look at and when I look at your symptoms, I see exactly what I am thinking - naturally!

In the theory I add to, the start is likely root canal or wisdom tooth extraction. Colonisation by an anaerobic form of usually harmless bacteria produces toxins. 1st waypoint for the colony is your sinuses. toxins released in the early stages would be lower levels and so less painful, more tingling than stinging. As it spreads in complexity and growth, the pain follows suit. 

This is why TN and ATN do not really relate. My bet is that you are on your way to ATN. Probably via a TN diagnosis. Or would be...

• Posted

Just to clarify Richard, it is not TN or ATN. It's a jolly old head cold with a touch of sinusitis. With sensitive teeth. Until it is not. Then is the next thing. Until it is not. etc. i.e., it is only ATN when it is disagnosed ATN. If so, then it would have been a useful thing to know.. back then.

The reason why so many seem to feel it is related to the teeth at the start is because... they are right? Possibly? wink

• Posted

I don't have any teeth I haven't for years and I've never had sinus problems I'm in excruciating pain with it like an electric shock and on so much medication,I no for certain I have TN I've had everything checked and they can't find anything wrong anywhere else so I have been diagnosed with TN I wish it was something else cause it's the worse pain ever and I've had 3 kids and believe me I'd swap this to give birth to anther 3

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.