Are these aches and pains normal with vitamin d deficiency

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hoping someone can put my mind at ease. i was diagnosed with vit d deficiency 3 weeks ago. im on 50.000 iu once a week. i feel worse than better. can someone tell me if these pains im experiencing are related to vit d deficiency. groin pain. leg pain. lower back pain. right arm and chest pain and fuzzy feeling in my head? any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Vitamin D deficiency does consist of bone, back and muscle pain. Also fatigue and tiredness. Do you know what your vit D measurement was? It normally takes about three months of supplements to get to normal depending where you are starting from.

• Posted

i think my level was 3. i was hospitalized for a week with extreme head pain and leg pain before they realised it was vit d. is it normal to have a good week and then back to being bed bound? im also experiencing pain shooting through my armpit. is this also normal?

• Posted

3 is pretty low, you could have some nasty symptoms. You may be better checking with your doctor that your symptoms are all caused by vitamin D deficiency though.

• Posted

Of course best to consult the doctor on this.

My guess is that it's not unexpected, but that is only a guess.

Did you get a full set of blood test panels, when you were being diagnosed?

• Posted

1st visit to doc. i got a full blood test minus a vit d test. all came back perfect. he ordered me a brain scan shows but was sent home to wait. i was then admitted to hospital as the pains i was experiencing were too much. i had brain scan chest xray both perfect. it seems doctors here dont have a clue when it comes to vit d deficiency. Had been back to my doc about pain and has made an appointment for chest and pelvis scan. told me nothing to worry about. but why would i need them?

• Posted

i should say. i was addmitted to hospital while i was sent home from my doc. brain scan. chest x ray all fine and more blood test until they found out it was vit d

• Posted

That's quite a story! Yes, doctors and nutrition are mostly different worlds here in the US, too.

I think the surprise is that you got significant relief that quickly in the first place!

My mother went through years of bad health, and I just trusted that her doctor was taking good care, until I finally got involved. She had been taking some modest vitamin D supplements, but (with doctor's agreement) I boosted these just a little, from 1000iu/day to 2000iu/day, and after a couple of weeks some things seemed much better, wish I could have been involved much earlier. Though since then I learned I should have used larger doses.

I wonder if you should be taking more like 5000iu/day, instead of 50,000iu/week.

Though let's hope, after just another week or so, it will be OK either way.

• Posted

thanks for your reply. im going to start taking 10,000 daily as opposed to 50.000. i feel the 50.000 once a week isnt helping at all. im also taking magnisium and multi vits. would you know about vit k2 and if it would be of any help to me. thank you

• Posted

You get most of your vitamin D from sunlight so some sunbathing could be added. You need to spend around twenty minutes without sun block, as sun block will stop the body absorbing vit D. I have been told ideally you should sunbathe in the nude!! You may prefer the supplements. About 20% of the bodies vit D is got through food so you could boost those up to, the list is pretty limited, such things as oily fish – eg salmon, sardines, herring and mackerel, red meat, liver, egg yolks and mushrooms.

• Posted

ive read somewhere folic acid is good with vit d defincancy. have you or anyone else any knowledge on this?

• Posted

My GP has prescribed me folic acid, but because I am anaemic apparently. My vit D level is now quite good as I take vit D and calcium, although the vit D was pretty low when I was diagnosed with PMR. I have not heard of folic acid to help vit D deficiency. Should be interested if it does.

• Posted

Hi JasonO,

I found out about my deficiency at the end of July this year. Been fairly healthy my entire life until this year. Many tests done and the only thing that came back abnormal was VD. When my symptoms spiraled out of control in March of this year my symptoms were: nausea, dizziness, upper back pain, anxiety, a tension headache that lasted almost TWO MONTHS. Panic attacks, depression, ringing in ear, lots of muscle tension in neck, shoulders upper back. These are only the ones I can remember. Towards finding out about my VDD. My symptoms were mostly pain in my upper back, shoulders, neck, A LOT of soreness in this area. I had all kinds of pain including muscle, nerve, and bone pain. Oh I also have tingling in my face sometimes. When I started on 50k of VD/week my shoulder pain started to go away and then just continued on/off since then. week 3 I felt even worse. It slowly got better. I am now on about 3 months of VD supplements. The soreness in my back finally is going away and STAYING away. I may feel it once a week now instead of 24/7. My shoulders are still sore especially if I am in a certain position too long. I have a pretty severe pain in my right scapula. I have actually had this pain for a while now. Also my bones crack, crunch, and grind all the time. VDD can cause so many symptoms so just hang in there!

• Posted

what was your vitamin D level when you started?

• Posted

Mine was 16 ng/ml but I do believe I have been deficient for quit a while b/c I never did go out in the sun much and I also don't eat a lot of meat or dairy so probably low in calcium too basically creating the perfect recipe for a major imbalance or nutritional deficiency. Also I would like to note that all my symptoms suddenly started after taking very strong doses of Bactrim last year for a UTI which I believe further depleted what was already depleted in my body.

• Posted

hi Jason,

How are you now? and how long did you had pain in your groin area? Did you ever check calcium levels? I got pain in my groins as well from prescription d3 50.000!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.