Are these feelings normal ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I'm just into week two of taking fluoxetine. 20mg. I took this medication about five years ago and it was excellent. I know I'm only on week two but I'm having some side effects.

I seem to be mostly fine during the day. Except for a bit of a niggly headache on and off. It's the nights !!

I did feel slightly like I'm feeling at night before I started so I can't blame it all on the meds. But it's sort of got worse. I keep waking really early like 6am and I wake with a jolt, no gentle waking here. Then I have this really scary feeling of I'm guessing agitation or slight panic. My chest feels tight. I'm shaky inside but mostly my mind is racing. I'm thinking of about five different things at once in my head. I have to force myself to think slower and relax. Once I am awake and up and about that feeling goes and is just taken over by my usual anxieties. Will it get better ? Or when ? I haven't felt much brighter yet. Just these agitation and anxiety episodes on waking up. I really don't want to stop taking them because I remember when I took them years ago, they really helped me. Any advice please ? Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey Kim, I absolutely had the same thing. That jolt out of bed, but also a paralyzed sort of fog where my mind was processing things and i was awake but I couldn't quite comprehend that I was awake and my mind was running. One foot was in disturbed sleep, one in reality. Hard to explain but basically yes, waking up was hardest for me in the first two weeks. On 3 1/2 now and every days different but not nearly as intense. I'd be terrified to pass back out when I woke in the am and would force myself out of bed and start the day because it was the only thing that made me feel better. Weird dreams, angst, agitation, etc.. I think it's pretty common.

• Posted

Hi Kim what your feeling is just side effects there not nice at all , but in time they will pass just try an stay positive , an this site is great for reassuring you , am on week 11 today an the difference than the first for weeks , good luck x
  • Posted

I took SSRI's twice - both times worked really well - but I had a different experience starting up both times and second time it took a little longer.  If these worked before, they'll work again for you, but take it slow, try and let those side effects just be there (horrid though they are) because they will go in time.  Remember the first few weeks are usually the worst and it often gets worse before it gets better.

K x

• Posted

Today I feel dreadful. I'm trying to get a dr appointment. I was awake on and off through the night. I'm breathless and keep feeling the need to take in big breaths. I feel so scared and worried and that I'm going to collapse at any moment. I wasn't this bad before I started taking the flu. I really don't want to stop it. I want it to work. But I'm not sure I can cope with this breathlessness head pain and anxiety. I can't even get an appointment this morning at my dr. Are these feelings normal ? Im sorry I keep needing reassurance. But there is no one else to talk to.

• Posted

They are normal Kim I feel for you as I remember the feelings there horrendous I used to ring my doctor crying , my doctor put me on a beta blocker for the anxiety I was that bad , if you can't see your own doctor what about a walkin , but remember they are side effects an will get better x

• Posted

I think a lot of my problem is the beta blocker I take for palpitations. It's only a low dose 1.25mg a day but it really affects me. But if I don't take it I get Palps all the time. But it drops my pulse and makes me breathless which is exasperated by my anxiety. My dr is fully booked. I'm calling again at lunchtime for an evening app. Might not happen. It's just scary when you can't explain why you feel so weird. I just want to feel normal again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.