Are These Gallstone Symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

Sorry for all the questions  but  I'm not sure if my symptoms are

caused  by gallstones   or IBS  and  I  would  appreciate  some  advice.

I  have  stomach  cramps,   feel  sick,   bloated ,  wind , have  a  little  pain 

in my right  ribs  which  goes  into  my back.   

Anyone else  had  these  symptoms  ?     I'm  struggling to  eat because 

of the  cramps  .

Thanks  for  any  input.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had a few attacks of extreme pain before then having yellow stools which pointed me in the direction of gallbladder issue. I’d been told I had a urine infection after first attack!

As time went on the pain happened more often, sometimes it was in the middle of the ribs and under the right ribs, other times it was just under right ribs. And pain in the back at the same point as it was sore at the front. Had extreme nausea just when having the gallbladder attacks originally, but ended up with the pain and nausea constantly for 7 weeks before ending up with cholecystitis and getting my gallbladder out.

You need to go see your GP and ask for a referral for an ultrasound scan and take it from there. If it does turn out you have gallstones then you’ll be referred to a surgeon to see about removing the gallbladder. If there’s no stones on the ultrasound they may decide to do a HIDA scan to see how well the gallbladder is functioning. 

I’d recommend booking an appointment to see your GP, but in the meantime reduce your fat intake as much as possible. Eating foods with less than 7g of fat per 100g. Sometimes this can really help reduce the symptoms. Let us know how you get on xx

• Posted

Sorry if I  didn't  describe  things  very well.   I  know that I have gallstones  

and I also have IBS.    I  have pain  where  you  describe  but it's  the  stomach 

cramps  that are  puzzling me .   I  also  have  nausea   which  could be either 

down to the gallstones  or IBS    .    Anyone   have  stomach  cramps  that was 

due to  gallstones  ?

Thanks 

• Posted

Are your stomach cramps related to diarrhoea? I got cramps following eating anything fatty which was followed soon after by urgent bowel motion- usually yellow, which was excess bile. Also had nausea, sickness, bloating, right sided and central pain and right shoulder pain just like Scottie. Attacks preceded months earlier by no appetite, was very tired and had night sweats. Realise now I was ill for some time before the painful attacks started. Like Scottie, I was also initially misdiagnosed with kidney infection.

Unfortunately many digestive illnesses have similar symptoms so your stomach cramps may well be due to your IBS but could also be down to gallstones so inconclusive- sorry!

• Posted

My stomach cramps were all due to gallstones. Just wondering how long ago you got the IBS diagnosis? Lots of people on this forum were initially diagnosed with IBS and turned out it was actually gallbladder problems. 

Have you been referred to a surgeon to get the gallbladder removed? 

Do you know what your trigger foods are for the IBS/gallstones? 

As time went on my stomach cramps became chronic and were there all the time. This is possibly the gallbladder becoming less able to function so possibly needs to be removed sooner. Hopefully that may settle all your pains! Would be great if it was just the gallbladder and the IBS was misdiagnosed! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.