Are these ingredients safe for stomach?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’ce got some crackers that are really easy to eat and I like the taste as well, so I’m happy to have them as a snack, but not sure if these ingredients are okay “Gluten Free Wholegrain Oats (89%), Sustainable Palm Fruit Oil, Maize Starch, Raising Agent (Ammonium Bicarbonate), Sea Salt, Honey“..? I’m a bit worried about the Ammonium Bicarbonate. 

I really hope they are not exacerbating my reflux. Any crackers recommendation that are safe for reflux and sensitive stomach..?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

For acid reflux apple cider vinegar with the mother. Did you see the doctor ?
  • Posted

Everyone is different so just try a few. I can't eat whole grain without it bothering the inflammation in my gut but you are young and it might be fine. I can't eat honey. If you have an overgrowth of bacteria then fiber from many things can make problems. I gave up wheat for ten years but recently added saltines and I'm doing fine. I'm not worried about the nutrition at this time just absorbing acid. There's not much fiber to aggravate my intestines either. 

For me vinegar makes me itch so I use baking soda water instead. After I'm on antibiotics for awhile I try vinegar again but it's been a few years since I could use it. Once you're better you can add back some foods. Lemon water made me sick for over a month. Sometimes aloe juice in small amounts cools acid but is hard on my system. 

I also take gelatin again to heal the damage from inflammation. A GI doctor can give you a sample of packets to mix with water. I can't remember the name but I could not take them. They helped my son-in-law though. Plus he's on a bland diet. 

You have to work with your doctor and keep asking questions to other patients and go slow. I tried everything over 20 years. Spent over $100,000. 

For me killing the bacteria with Xifaxan took a year and I'm still on them. My weight is back up over 100 pounds and I feel the best in years.

My MD in Encinitas tried everything natural first...no drugs. But they all made me itch. I have 4 doctors working together. I also do my own researc. 

• Posted

The only way is to try it. If it disagrees with you forget it. Everyone's system is different.

• Posted

Saltines, also called soda crackers, are thin, square crackers made from white flour, shortening, yeast, and baking soda, and are usually topped with some coarse salt. Saltines are an old remedy for heartburn because they contain baking soda and cream of tartar, both of which are alkaline and able to neutralize the acid in the esophagus. Furthermore, chewed-up saltines are absorbent and act as a sponge to soak up acid as they move down the esophagus towards the stomach.

• Posted

Saltines are a cheap and safe remedy to reduce the symptoms of an occasional bout of heartburn or acid reflux, but they are not meant as a treatment for chronic cases or GERD. If you are trying to reduce the symptoms of heartburn, it’s probably best to eat saltines plain, instead of coating them with anything fatty, such as butter, peanut butter or cheese as it produce more acid to digest and worsen the GERD. Eating in sitting position Avoid eating in lying position and eating small, frequent meals based on whole grains, vegetables and fruit is also helpful for preventing acid reflux.Hope it might Help.Any question happy to help
    • Posted

I don’t eat butter, peanut butter or anything at all with my crackers. Thank you for your advice!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.