Are these PCOS symptoms? *KIND OF GRAPHIC*

Posted , 5 users are following.

So my periods have never really been on time but they’ve always lasted around 5 days from being heavy then gradually lighter. In the last year they have been all over the place, missing them, really light then really heavy, spotting etc.. Then it came to a point where i didnt have a period for 3 months! So May was my last period then i had nothing! I also did a pregnancy test and it was negative. 2 weeks ago i went to the doctors because at this point im really worrying. She thinks i might have PCOS so she booked me in for an ultrasound (which i havent heard anything from) and to see a gynaecologist (which isnt until October!!!) Anyway, 3 days a go i was sat watching tv when i felt blood coming out (sorry for too much info) so i went to the toilet to sort myself out. As i was sat on the toilet having a wee i felt this what i thought was a blood clot come out of me which plopped in the water. It did startle me but i assumed it was just a bigger blood clot but I looked at it slightly and it was probably about an inch long!!! Ive had blood clots before that are smaller than a 5 pence piece but never this big! I had another a few hours later but it wasnt as big! So today ive been on this period for a week and im still heavy! Theres not much blood on ny sanitary towel but lots when i wipe.. Im now getting really panicy constantly googling my symptoms sad just wondering if anyone who has PCOS has missed periods then really crazy ones or ones that last ages or even big blood clots? Hope someone can shed some light on this! Thank you!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This can happen with PCOS. I wouldn’t have a period for months, then I would have 10 day one! I used to regularly take pregnancy tests because I never had periods and then when I got them I would be scared I was having a miscarriage because they wouldn’t stop! Basically it is caused by a hormone imbalance, insulin resistance. It means you produce to much androgen and not enough estrogen. Do you suffer or have you suffered with acne? Do you sweat a bit more than most women? Do you have issues with gaining weight? These are all common traits of PCOS.
    • Posted

Ive never suffered with acne, im quite the opposite actually as i have dry skin! Although ive had lots of regular spots around my chin and cheek in the last week since coming on my period. I have put 3 stone on in a short space of time but other than that and the crazy periods, that is really only the symptoms ive had of PCOS.
  • Posted

So it all depends. You can have some symptoms and not others. But I'd wait for your doctor. Googling symptoms will just make you crazy. Trust me I know. I haven't had my period in close to 4 years. But I'd have these massive blood clots that scared the daylights out of me. If you are really scared, call your doctor. Maybe they can give you some insight into if you should be scared or not. Pcos is relatively new. But for now, relax, call your doctor.

• Posted

Reading your post brought me comfort! I am experiencing something of the sorts, I’ve been on this so called period for 10 days. I got of birth control sept 2017 didn’t have a period til feb 2018 which lasted til March . After March, I had no period til aug 3. And it’s been very light then sometimes dark but that would happen maybe an hr throughout the day, this time around I’m much more tired, consistent headaches and moody . My dr kept suggesting getting back on bc 
    • Posted

Its horrendous isnt it? Are you having blood clots or anything? I have been on my period 8 days today and my last period was May! Literally never had any period problems until this last year! Maybe yours is because youve come kff the pill? Did your dr mention PCOS? Hopefulky you’ll be sorted soon!
    • Posted

Yeah, she mentioned Pcos . And my blood clots are very small and not always it’s only happened maybe 3-5 times since I’ve been bleeding . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.