are these rebound symptoms from omeprazole? how long will they last?

Posted , 6 users are following.

i took omeprazole for 7 days because my doctor thought i had silent reflex. i haven’t had heartburn before starting on this. my only issue was a lump in my throat. she told me to take it for 14 days i stopped because my stomach was uptset since day 2. now it is being 9 days since i stopped cold turkey. and i have horrible stomach burning pain and heartburn and feel nausea and no appetite. are these rebound symptoms? how long will they last? any one who stopped omeprazole please advice. doctor wants me to go back but i have that give me no end since i will start over.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maria, actually I don't know but I think PPI's shouldn't be quit cold turkey..

• Posted

I was stopped taking ppis  cold turkey,  after 3 months without any side effects. I never had any heartburn to start with so perhaps that was the reason for no rebound? 

• Posted

i didn’t had any heartburn either, and my stomach was fine just lump in throat but now i feel this medine mess up my stomach. i so mad with doctor she just thought it was silent reflex. i regret taking it. she wants me to go back to the mdicine but that give me problems even when i was on it.
    • Posted

I was prescribed Pariet (rabezprazole + ranitidine + other meds for ) after endoscopy.(Dx with GERD, esophagitis, gastritis, Barretts esophagus) .The effects of Pareit  were instant...no chest pains, no upper abdominal pains no regurgitation of undigested food etc  . At follow up endoscopy 3 months a different gastro stopped all meds.   He said my Barretts was 'minimal' ....for about a year I had no chest pains, no regurgitating undigested food etc then slowly it restarted ..recently prescribed anti immune drugs ..and all the symptoms of GERD returned with vengeance...back to 1st gastro. another endoscopy....now found bile reflux, found erosion in esophagus + enlarged nodules of vagous vein on esophagus + tiny white plaques in stomach, biopsies taken and get results today..... So should I have been stopped from taking ppis 2.5 years ago?? In meantime restarted on anti sickness medicine +Pariet 2x daily + Gaviscon Advance after each meal and at bedtime(fantastic stuff) 

?BTW during the 2.5 yrs I was prescribed omezaprole  by an orthopedic man (taking strong meds for pain for cervical spondylosis)  and my stomach was on fire after 1 day (which I had never experienced before ) so stopped immediately and decided to do without 

?Ppis have nasty side effects so its personal choice of whether u take or not , I will hold judgment until I see the gastro.

?Have you had an endoscopy? 

• Posted

Shouldn’t be rebound after 7 days but since you weren’t properly diagnosed - meaning you could have bile acid reflux Ppi just make it worse

Sometimes lump in throat can be motility problem which you would meds to make food go faster transit time or it can be anxiety

• Posted

There should be no such symptoms after so many days ... on what basis did the doctor diagnose the lump in my throat? Research? ultrasound?
    • Posted

my doctor did do any tests, she just i think you have silent reflex try omeprazole and see if that helps. i am really mad and regret taking the medine i never had a problem with my stomach or heartburn before the medicine. now i done alot of googling and found that this medicine could have rebound/withdrawal symptoms that could last for weeks/months.
    • Posted

Forgive your doctor , he didn’t know any better , he is just like all the others , it’s easy to write a prescription , a lot harder to properly diagnose a problem . You didn’t take those pills for long , there shouldn’t have been such a severe reaction from stopping it , I guess it’s just bad luck . That being said , insist that your doctor investigate properly before prescribing different pills . Never take any medication which ends in - prazole , it’s all the same stuff . Before I take any medication I don’t know I research it on the internet what it does and the side effects . These days you have to be your own advocate , not trust your doctor blindly that he knows best . In the meantime , take a good probiotic to support good gut health , and if you feel that burn once in a while it’s ok to take an acid neutralizer on occasion . Some people swear by apple cider vinegar .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.