Are these side effects normal?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was put on topiramate 9 days ago, 25mg twice a day, at the one week mark I started taking 75 mg daily and next Friday I will be at my goal of 100mg. Since starting I have yet to have a migraine yay! But I have had some numbness in my fingertips, tingling in my feet and if I sit cross legged to long my knees go numb, I've gotten horrible acne on my chin and I get incredibly itchy when hot. is this normal? Will this go away as my body adjusts to the meds?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jessica

Without having to repeat myself again, because I have done many times on the subject of this lethal drug, I will be brief, yes they are common symptoms, but to be honest that's the best you can hope for.  Symptoms can be a lot worse as I found out and the drug nearly killed me because 3 GPs didn't take me seriously when I told them 18 months ago and I was suspected of having a fatal condition as a result of the drug.  Many other people will tell you the same and I believe in the States they have either banned it or are attempting to.

• Posted

Hi Jessica.  Those side effects seem pretty standard with this medication.  I had tingles in my hands and feet that would come and go throughout the day. I also had a few spots come up in the initial weeks of taking it then they cleared up.  It will take time for your body to adjust to the medication, and its quite a strong one.  What you will need to think about though, is wether the medication side effects are worth living with against the nasty migraines.  I wish you luck and hope you are succesful with this medication x
  • Posted

So when you say you increase do you mean you take more than one of the 25mg at a time or you have a higher dosage prescribed?

Just wondering because I take it as well 25 mg twice a day for migraines I have the tingling, fatigue, and a bit of memory loss but I am very willing to have all those side effects over life altering migraines. I can not be a good mother if I'm constantly in bed with a headache. I can write down reminders and live a normal life.

Anyways, I feel as if I need an Increase but don't know if I should just take two 25mg pills at night and one in the morning or if I need a prescription for a 50mg

Anyone help me out here please!

• Posted

I was prescribed to work up to 50 mg twice a day. I have very similar side effects numbness and tingling and word recall. and I have been taking them for about a year now. I got up to 100 mg a day but after several weeks the side effects seemed very severe. so I went back down to 75mg by splitting my second pill for the day in half. This seems to be very tolerable and has greatly lessened the migraines.
  • Posted

For myself, yes. I had all of those side effects and the additional one not being able to remember common words. The itching I didn't get that one.... But the numbness in fingers and feet yes, it still happens but not as frequently. I have been taking for about 3 months now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.