Are these stools common with IBS? More on the mushy side and some of it dissolves in water. (Pic)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey, I'm 28M and I've had IBS-related symptoms ever since I was a child. Never had blood ever, though.

Recently (since early March) my stool has been more on the mushy side. It doesn't really hold its form when it hits the water. Also, some of it kind of disintegrates when it lands in the water. My normal routine is that I've only been doing 1 bowel movement a day, in the mornings. Sometimes I'll do a smaller BM during the evening as well. 

I've had a lot of trouble explaining what my stool likes in the past, so I figured I'd just start capturing pictures of my stool so there's no confusion as to what it looks like. Also, I do apologize in advance if posting a stool pic link isn't allowed here!

Stool Picture - WARNING - NSFW (Not Safe for Work): https://i.ibb.co/25XBhxs/stools-1.png

That being said, since early March- I have pretty much not been eating any meat (except chicken on some days) or bread. I've been focused mostly on lentils and veggies like kale & brussel sprouts and there were a couple days where that's all I ate.

Would this be common with IBS or is it a strong indication of inflammation? If so, at what point should I be testing for ulcerative colitis and/or Crohn's?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi bran, whatever this is because your bowel movements have changed your doctor's must know and soon. they are the experts and they will tell you if it's changes in diet that's caused all the problems or if it is true ibs. if you take big amounts of food out of your diet you could make yourself worse. please talk to someone before you do any more or damage.

• Posted

If you are eating mainly lentils kale and brussels sprouts, then that is probably why you have stools like these.

If you intend to be vegan, thats fine, but if not do introduce something like chicken back into your diet.

I wonder what the symptoms are that you have had since a child?. It may be something more simple and you could be intolerant to Gluten/ wheat or all milk products. Try cutting out wheat/gluten from your diet for 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference. If it has no effect then try cutting out all dairy products like milk,cheese, yoghurt,cream, fromage frais etc etc. Eggs are OK.

These are the two main bowel irritants so its a good idea to check them out first. It does mean looking carefully at everything you eat and checking the ingredients in all shop bought prepared products and meals.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.