Are these symptoms typical of IBS? Help is highly appreciated.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

For the past 7 months i have been having severe abdominal pain, very loose stools, bloating, heart burn a sense if immediate fullness even after eating small portions and very bad groin, hip and low back pain, i also have bladder sensitivity and feel like my bladder us extremely full. M pain is mostly on the right side and is continuous. I have had all kinds of blood related tests, been also testes for celiac and other food allergies, had a CT scan as well as xrays, been teated for helicobacter pylori and all results came back negative. Next Saturday i am scheduled for a colonoscopy. The pain is so debilitating that i have convinced myself that its must be something more serious that the doctors are missing out! my insides feel so sore and at times it feels like my abdomin is twitching like a muscle would. It would be so helpful if I could receive any feedback from anyone who has experienced anything similar. I'm finding it so hard to believe this is IBS as my doctors and gastroenterologist are suggesting.

Please help!!

Many thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes, all the symptoms you describe are common with IBS . Anxiety really does play a major role with IBS, so I'm sure that once you've had the colonoscopy the inevitable stress and anxiety will diminish and you'll be able to focus positively on managing and controlling your condition. I've heard many non-sufferers say "it's just IBS" but such comments are made out of ignorance. It can generate a myriad of painful and almost debilitating symptoms, but as someone who was diagnosed with IBS almost 4 years ago I can reassure you that although it can't be "cured" it can be controlled and you can lead a normal life

Good luck

JAN

• Posted

Probably IBS, but as your pain is on the right have you had your gallbladder checked?

All the best☺

• Posted

Hey ruth, Sorry you have to suffer like this. I know the physical pain and pain of uncertain diagnosis.Well, Looks like it's IBS, Once you exclude other causes through colonoscopy.

If your blood tests are normal including ESR and CRP then you don't need to worry about serious condition. But it is good to get checked thoroughly.

If you have certain type of stress that can precipitate this type of condition as mind and gut have very strong relation. I think till you get your diagnosis, for time being you can try some over the counter medicines for indigestion and acidity, Like ranitidin and some digestive enzymes...It can help. Just to see whether it helps in your digestion and reduce the bloating....Another thing is antibiotics for h.pylori is really crual on your healthy gut bacteria, So start probiotics everyday. Hope you get your diagnosis soon.

• Posted

Hi, check out the fodmap diet, lots of info online, are you lactose intolerant?.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.