Are these symtpoms really the cause of IBS? Need guidance..

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey, I am a 24 year old male who is battling with strange abdomen / back symptoms. I will try to keep this short.

Since aug 2020 i've been dealing with symptoms consisting of loose stools, tenesmus, nausea, upper left back pain right under left shoulder blade - not a stabbing pain, more like uncomfortable like i've pulled a muscle.

I only have 1 of these symtpoms at time and they rotate in a random order every day. E.g when i'm nauseous i dont feel the back pain or tenesmus, but when i'm geting the upper left back pain i dont feel the other symptoms.

I've done stool samples, multiple blood tests, colonoscopy, endoscopy and a CT scan with contrast and NONE of these tests have found anything at all. Also went to a physiotherapist with my back problem but it haven't got any better.

I do have a history of health anxiety, I've been worried that this will end with a cancer diagnosis but i really doubt anxiety could be the cause of all these issues.

Symptoms are not geting worse, but its not geting any better aswell..

My doc wrote this off as IBS, but if it wasn't for the upper left back pain i would have accepted it.

So, in what direction should i go? Should i push for a scan for my upper back? What do you think could be the cause of all these things?

Would really appreciate if someone wants to give this a thought.

Take care!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi anden, you're too young to have cancer. your stomach sound like IBS but you're right the back pain doesn't fir IBS unless you have done 2 different things. i wonder if you pulled or twisted something else in your upper back. that would explain the pain try seeing if you can speak to a physio you might get some relief you could also try online for physio u-tube videos as they could do your back some good.it's surely worth a go? good luck try anything for your back. as for IBS type symptoms write down what you eat and see if anything makes it worse/better, including stress, upset, any really bad situation, eating take-aways, fry-ups. IBS is a set of symptoms, it's manageable.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Yeah i guess it's a possibility that my back issue is not linked to the stomach issues. It's just wierd that when i experience the back pain i dont experience the stomach issues (tenesmus and nausea). Do you think that something serious in the back could cause these symptoms? Or is that far-fetched?

I've been to the physio, and i've done exercises for my back but its not helping.

Cheers!

• Posted

hi, did you deserved find out what was causing your tenesmus? did you have bowel inflammation?

• Posted

Hey, no i haven't found out whats causing the feeling of tenesmus. I've just been told its a symptom of IBS. No, they did not found any inflammation in my bowel.

• Posted

hi, did you deserved find out what was causing your tenesmus? did you have bowel inflammation?

• Posted

Hi Anden, I feel your pain with the upper back pain, ive had awful pain in my right upper back since september which i assumed was my shouderblade causing the pain but apparently according to they physio its my spine, no physio exercises or massage helps, normally makes it worse , I also have issues with feeling like i need a bowel movement but not being able to go, when i do eventually go it offers little relief and often I have sciatic pain when im unable to go, I dont know if this is IBS related ive had stool samples but came back clear, i remember once seeing a video on you tube of a chiropractor fixing someones back that was causing their bowel issues, chiropractor is going to be my next port of call, I've had numerous blood tests and my Wbc is low and my protein is high, google has some scary answers, I also have health anxiety and google searches love to scare you into cancer 😦 hope you manage to get some answers, sorry i dont have any 😦

• Posted

Hey, sorry to hear that you are suffering with pain in your upper back. Have you done any MRI or scan to check your upper back/spine?

Apart from the urge to have a bowel movement do you have any other "ibs symptoms"?

• Posted

im about to have an xray in my shoulder after months of begging, i have had jo scans, If im honest im not too sure what ibs symptoms really are but i do get alot of stomach discomfort depending on what i eat and sometimes some mucus (tmi)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.