Are they ANY success stories?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been reading a lot about people experiences with Amiodarone on here and majority of it have been negative. As I've heard this drug aside from it's many side effects actually does is job are there ANY good success stories?

There has to be a few people on this forum who have had a good experience with Amiodarone. Would love to hear from those people. It would be very comforting as well.

Thank you

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi when I first got diagnosed with slow-rate afib in Nov 2015, I was put on an Amiodarone plan.  It flipped me back into sinus within 3 days of the high dose, but the plan required me to stay on it for another 9 months to make sure.  

I did read the scary stories but my cardiologist discussed the pros and cons, and based on my case it seemed ok.

However my side effects were sunburn (factor 50 when outdoors) and also horrific and vivid dreams.....bit like that film the Matrix.  Not sure why, but it is know effect of the drug.   

• Posted

Hi

I was on 600 mg/day for 1 week, then 400 mg for 1 week then 200 mg/day for 9 months.  That was my plan.  It worked after 2 days!  Afib returned and Amiodarone did nothing hence the ablation.  Best thing I did was to have the ablation.  Just competed in a tough 10 k run today with no probs or anxiety etc 

• Posted

Wow great to hear you worked something out Chris. Congrats on your 10k run!
    • Posted

Thank you, I just wanted to state that Afib can mean a  normal life.  There are treatments out there and the ablation has given me more confidence.  it may come back in years to come, but i'll deal with it then.

• Posted

I just started amio, but my brother has been on it for 5 years.  His thyroid has been moderately affected and he has the sun sensitivity, but none of the worse side effects, so far.  I'd call that a success story.  Almost all heart and blood pressure medicines will reduce your exercise ability and increase shortness of breath.  It's just something I've had to learn to live with to prevent the bad arrhythmias.

• Posted

I have had afib for 7 yrs, I don't get the racing heart, however, my heart is always about 30 or 40 bpm higher than it used to be an bounces in and out of that neighborhood. I've had two cardio-versions and an ablation. Now the doctor wants to put me on amionadrone, but the side effects have me scared.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.