Are we ever pain free when we have PMR

Posted , 14 users are following.

i am reducing by using the DSNS method I have got down to 7mg. When I was first diagnosed and was put on 20mg for three weeks that was the only time I can honestly say I was completely pain free.

Since then I have had niggly pain on and off all the time. I do think I have quite a high pain threshold, so I just get on with it. But what I can’t deal with is the stiffness in both shoulders, I can’t blow dry my

hair find it difficult to lift both arms. I did go back up to 15mg for two

weeks with no relief. I wonder if it is a rotator cuff problem, although my scan did not show anything up. I have heard you can have your shoulders stretched  under a local. Can anyone please let me know what your thoughts are. I know I have had PMR for only 13mths a lot less than a lot on this forum who have had it for many years. I can deal with the pelvic pain and down my legs, by resting, but my shoulders is getting me down.😢

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Margaret, I am tapering down from 30 mg currently on 7.5 mg. I have been basically PMR pain free since June of last year. I do not reduce doses if I have any PMR pain. I am taking my time, not rushing after a bad flare. I think positive and try to smile, I think it helps. ☺️
    • Posted

Thank you Michdonn I have increased back to 10mg today, still no relief in my shoulders and neck, I am wondering if something else is going on. I am going to speak to the Rheaumy dept on Monday to see what they suggest. I am smiling and still doing my 8km walk everyday. 
  • Posted

You reached a point ( around the 7-10mgs. level ) at which many of us have experienced the return of pain. 

I was pain free four hours after taking my first 30 mg. dose and, following the reduction schedule that my GP suggested, until  got to 10. Went back to 12.5, no joy. Increased to 13 and pain went. Stayed there for 4 weeks and then was able to reduce steadily, pain free, until I got to 4.5. 

I finally took my last dose after three years experiencing several glitches along the way.  Was clear for five years and then PMR symptoms returned. Second round was more difficult.

Happy to PM you my full record if it would help but the conclusion I drew was that there are no rules and you have to be prepared to continually adjust the dose and listen to your body which is unique.

• Posted

Betty, I need 30 mg for 6 weeks to get relief. Now at 7.5 tapering to 7 using DSNS. I was on 8 tapering to 7 when my bad flare occurred last year. I agree with you, each individual and each case is different. But it is a good idea to learn from the experiences of others and their painful wisdom. This year going much slower. Think positive with a smile.
    • Posted

Thank you BettyE  I have increased back to 10 today, no relief in shoulders and neck, will speak to the rheaumy dept on Monday for advice.
  • Posted

Thank you for this - I just can't find the right dose so am heartened by this??

• Posted

Rachel, jump your dosage up to where you are starting to feeling good. Stay at that dosage till you are PMR pain free. Learn to listen to your body. Reduce to where you were before your flare quickly in large steps. If just starting out or on a large dosage for some time, reduce slowly never more than 10%. Beware of how you feel, stay active every day, think positive with a smile. ☺️
    • Posted

rachel I have gone back to 10mg today, still pain in shoulders and neck, going to speak to the rheaumy dept on Monday for advice.
  • Posted

My thoughts  are to go back to the amount that stops the pain, stay on it for a while, and don't be in a hurry to reduce too quickly; give it time for the inflamation to subside.  Don't worry about it being a larger dose, you will eventually be able to reduce once the inflamation begins to subside.  Good luck!  Elinor

• Posted

After 1 1/2 years of pmr, I am currently at 5 mg.  Tuesday was my mother-in-laws funeral where I stood in the receiving line for 2 1/2 hours and then all the ceremonies afterwards.  Wednesday I had my first physical therapy session for what has turned out to be tendonitis.  Yesterday I walked 5000 steps (my limit) and did my isometric pt exercises.  Today I can't move.  Stiff and sore all over, mostly in my legs and upper arms--haven't had that for a very long time.  No idea why all this stiffness and soreness didn't appear Wednesday after the funeral on Tuesday...anyway, I'm gonna give it another day; if it isn't better tomorrow, I will go up 1/2 mg.  

wanted to add that with my pmr, I've never been totally pain free.  I have stiffness and soreness in my hips and groin especially in the mornings and my physical limits are very small indeed.  fatigue is an ongoing issue.  However, I'm using the dsns method; my gp (who is wonderful) just told me that there is no hurry to get off pred when you get to 5.  So I have lots of hope that I will get there eventually; right now, though, I think it's safe to say my pmr ain't gone by any means.  Best wishes to you; hang in there!

• Posted

Thank  you  Twopies, it’s wonderful to know we are not alone, this forum and the people on it are fantastic. 
  • Posted

It does sound as if your shoulders might be due to something else on top of the PMR - but if there is deep-seated bursitis it might take some time to go away and so appear as the dose goes down. But if your shoulders are stopping you raising your arms - it needs investigating. However - even using the DSNS approach you are not reducing relentlessly to zero. You are looking for the lowest dose that gives as a good as result as the starting dose did or near enough. You sound as if you have overshot - and to be honest to be at 7mg after 13 months is pretty good. Your aim is that you don't feel worse at the end of a taper step than at the beginning.

• Posted

Thank you Eileen I have I have increased back to 10mg today, no relief, still  pain in shoulders and neck, I have decided to speak to the Rheaumy dept on Monday for advice. I don’t want to go up to 20mg if there is something else going on with my shoulders. 
  • Posted

Margaret89358 - sorry to heard about your lasting pain.  I was diagnosed with PMR in mid-2016.  At times it seems things will never get better. My symptoms often rotated throughout my body from head to toe.  But with proper treatment, things can and do get better.  Like other autoimmune diseases, your body is fighting itself.  While steroids help symptoms, it does not address the cause(s) of ones inflammation.  While there were some genetic and environmental factors, my primary triggers were reversed with proper diet, exercise and rest.  I have been pain free for months and without daily meds for over a year.  Its not a cure but daily relief is achievable.  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.