Are you getting enough calcium?

Posted , 5 users are following.

According to my blood tests I am but when I do the online checks to see if my daily/weekly calcium is sufficient the answer is no!

I think I will start to do a top up that gives a bit of a boost to my daily calcium.

A bit of cheese seems to be the best source of calcium.

Add yoghurt, leafy greens and others that contain a fraction of the day’s requirement and you are only three quarters of the way there.

Check online to see if your daily calcium is sufficient. You may be surprised as I was!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I agree with you Kathleen, but we must remember that calcium needs to be directed to the bones where it is needed by taking Vitamin K2, because excess calcium can go to the heart and veins causing problems there. Cheese is my favourite option to top up and it only needs to be a small cube to nibble on.
    • Posted

Yes you need K2 for sure but not much good if your calcium intake is down.

Check online and you may be surprised that although the blood tests are not showing a deficiency you still need more calcium than in your food.

The one that lists all the foods and you say how many serves for the week is the one I used after f8nsing a few others.

• Posted

I'm in a difficult situation where dairy is concerned - diagnosed as Lactose Intolerant a while back. Arla do a good range of semi-skimmed milk, single cream and cheddar cheese which taste exactly the same as the usual so I use these all the time now. My Rheumatologist blithely told me that a quarter of a pint of milk and 1 oz of cheese a day was adequate in my diet - I used to take Calceous + Vit D3 but that caused me very unpleasant gastric/intenstinal problems (newly diagnosed as Diverticilitis). The same guy told me not to waste my time looking at my T scores as these are irrelevant according to him!.Because of the diverticula my diet has to change completely and guess what....very few veggies and fruits or foods with calcium in. I am at high risk of fractures but have been lucky really, only bones in my feet so far and one rib. One DEXA scan revealed crumbling of the first 3 vertebrae in my back but he disagrees with that report saying he can't see the fractures even though I have lost 3" in height. I know that he is approx 70yrs old and should be retired so maybe his eyesight isn't so good?! Weight bearing exercise almost impossible for me because of Arthritis, constant back pain and pitting odema in feet, ankles and legs.  So I am between a rock and a hard place, any advice within your knowledge would be appreciated Kathleen!

I will look up the calcium calculator and try to find foods that I am allowed to eat to up my intake but admit to being worried about it. Also had Breast Cancer last year and a Mastectomy so the meds I am on for that unfortunately leech my bones of calcium. 

I just read back what I have put and now am laughing my head off - I sound such a poorly bunny but I really do not see my life that way at all! All I can say is, a little clarity would be good and anything you may know that would be helpful will definitely be gratefully received. 

• Posted

Can you manage tinned salmon and sardines?  You eat the bones and get calcium that way.  I would trust the radiologist's report regarding your DXA scan over the opinion of your aging rheumatologist.  Still, conservative treatment can be a bonus if you are able to avoid more drugs and their side effects.  There are different forms of calcium.  The most widely prescribed is calcium carbonate, probably because it's cheap.  More easily absorbed is calcium citrate.  You also need magnesium and if your leafy greens are out you may have to supplement that as well.  An epsom salts bath or foot bath will work as magnesium can be absorbed through the skin.  And I second Kathleen - Vitamin K2 is essential.

• Posted

Thank you Anhaga

I do take Magnesium Malate 200mg x 3 daily largely because I suffer dreadful night cramps (feet/ankles/legs) and muscle cramps day and night. I also take K2 one a day over past 8 months. The magnesium helps a great deal and for a night cramp I also use Magnesium Oil spray. Calcium Carbonate is what they had me on at a high dose (3 x normal dose) and now I just cannot take it any more. I have a foot bath, well I did until my sister-in-law borrowed it 4 months ago, and agree that the epsom salts are excellent with this. I do eat a lot of salmon, pilchards etc. but now I am not supposed to eat the bones, crushed or not. These are the things that along with seeds, nuts etc can become lodged in the diverticula leading to attacks of diverticulitis. No leafy greens, although I still have spinach quickly stir fried. I simply cannot give up everything as food becomes so very bland and I totally lose my appetite. I have kept a food diary for 4 months now and know that high fibre is something that sets off an attack, yet they insist I eat lots of it. It is all very confusing but I will sort things out for myself over the next few months. I agree with you over the DEXA scan results, even though my new Rheumy had a scan done himself and then peered at the screen, squinted, glasses off glasses on - I didn't feel I could trust his opinion. He also had an MRI done which showed the cover all diagnosis of Degenerative Spine Disease, not surprising as I am 68. More and more we have to become our own advocate, and certainly in the UK with the NHS in crisis we must research and discover before trusting our GP's. A lot of medications now are no longer available on script and we have to decide whether to purchase these ourselves or not. The times they are a'changing!

Thanks again for your input

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth! I can relate to much of what you have said. I have degenerative disc disease as well as arthritis and throw in scoliosis aNd osteoporosis.

I have diverticulitis as well. I am able to have dairy though so I have that benefit thankfully.

You will be surprised how many things have calcium in such as oranges. Have a really good diet with all the things you can have. 

My husband is unable to have dairy but has soy fortified with calcium.

I think three calcium tablets was far too much for you to take so wondering if you would tolerate a small amount. The dose on my bottle says two per day and I intend to take only one. 

I have problems doing too much exercise as well but am doing small walks using a wheeled walker which also allows me to sit when needed. Sitting is a problem for me though as I have lower back issue where it catches and I am stuck. How I deal with that is not allow it to happen.

Did you do the calcium calculation? How did that go?

All the best, Kathleen.

• Posted

Just a couple of ideas:

How about having a bowl of porridge with almond milk? Oats and almonds have calcium.

Hard tofu is another one as a cup has almost all the calcium you need for the day.

• Posted

Just wondering if there's a way you can get some of your vitamins and minerals through something like a strained smoothie?  Juice I guess it would be.  It seems awfully hard to be unwell and yet unable to consume the foods which will help towards recovery.  

• Posted

Unless it's added extra I don't think almond milk is a good source of calcium.

• Posted

I have two competing health conditions Anhaga, one for one diet and the other a different diet. It is hard to know whether I choose Calcium in the foods that help my bones, or the Diverticulitis diet that cuts out some of the calcium foods. I am going to have to pose these questions to the GP or Clinic at some point which will have to be after the final results come in on the Polyps removed and the bioposy of the abnormal tissue. This should be in in about 3 weeks time. Until then I am continuing with the diet that I feel is healthy for me but cutting out all seeds, grains and sweet corn. I am still eating oranges, grapes, melon etc. but very unsure on dark veggies tobh. Bouts of diverticulitis are painful and obviously I wish to avoid them. I wonder whether just fibre in supplement form might help me.....but I still cannot understand why I can't just mash the bones in Salmon, pilchards etc. and eat them. Oh the joys of getting older my friend.

• Posted

The bones in the tinned fish are soft so I have no issues with them. Just mash and put on a sandwich with avocados and salad. 

Spicy foods or small hard seeds are a problem but otherwise diverticulitis is manageable. Drinking plenty of water is advisable too.

I don’t find a clash with osteoporosis and diverticulitis and unless something causes a problem I don’t remove it especially if it is good for you. I do miss nuts but soft ones are okay that mash in your mouth like cashews. I think seeds are more of an issue as they are so small and hard.

• Posted

My husband has soy with added calcium so that is an option too. Almond milk has some but fortified with calcium would be even better.
  • Posted

Hi Kathleen, I think on the Osteoporosis society website I got a list of all the foods that contain calcium and they had a 'score' each.  There was also info on how much calcium/how many points of calcium you should aim for according to your age/health etc.

As a post menopausal woman the target was very high, and one of the best foods was scampi.  Also whitebait, tinned salmon with bones.  If you're a veggie then that's obviously no good.  I'll try and find the link and post here, but I found it very useful as where we think we're getting calcium is often not the best source for those of us who have osteoporosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.