Area under right rib cage tender after breathing in

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been experiencing this for about three months, whenever i press deep inside the area under right rib cage(not on the rib but the tissue just below the rib) it causes a sharp pain. And after breathing in, if i press the area with slight pressure that pain again shows up. Without touch there's no pain or any wierd feeling. I visited my physician, he felt my liver, at that time i noticed when i am lying dowm the pain never occurs no matter how hard i press but it occurs whenever i am sitting or standing. He then asked me to have Liver functioning tests (that came out to be normal), Complete blood count (everything fine in that too) and abdominal ultrasound (nothing problematic in this too). So he gave me some medicines for IBS and after completing the course the problem was still there. Changing my doctor gave me the same results. I do have IBS like symptoms and often impacted by gerd. Anyone having any idea about this ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

This might sound obvious but how about NOT pressing deeply on this area for a while and trying to forget about it? I’ve just tried doing what you describe and it doesn’t feel pleasant either. If the problem is only there when you palpate the area then maybe there isn’t a problem? You may have bruised the area by pressing too firmly repeatedly. It’s also been proven that by focusing and concentrating on an area of your body for periods of time can produce sensations there; the mind is very powerful. I’m not in any way saying this problem hasn’t been distressing for you, but if all test results are clear then that must be a good sign. See how you feel after a week of not going any where near it. Could also be related to your ibs but I’m sure prodding the area won’t help. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

Yea, I'll try not touching the area for a good period of time and will get back with the results

• Posted

does costochondritis cause upper stomach cramps as well?
    • Posted

Costochondritis is confined to the ribcage area.  For me, it was mostly around my breast tissue, middle of my ribcage and aroound my upper back.  It doesn’t cause upper or lower stomach cramping.  Costochondritis is caused by inflammed cartilage in the ribcage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.