Areas around incisions are purple. Has not gone away in weeks or changed color

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I recently just got ORIF to fix my tibia and fibula (APR 20) which I broke in a skateboard accident in March. 2 plates and 11 screws later I was put in a splint 10 days and now I have been in an aircast for the past week and 3 days. What I noticed right away was the fact that the areas around the incisions are a solid purple now. They were not purple when the doctor took my splint off which is why I'm worried it might be something serious. I also had an accident slip which caused me to catch myself with my boot. Is it normal to have purple around the incision areas? My sister keeps telling me it does not look like normal bruises because the color is not subsiding or going away. Any suggestions?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi hon I have a plate and screws put in my ankle for a tri fracture end of feb thus year

after they took out my stitches it was pinkish red for a while then the scar turned a brownish purple which for me was normal just as long as it doesn’t have pain where the stitches are or it’s not pussing or oozing you should be OK.

I also fell but I didn’t have my boot on when I fell and I hit my pad of my foot pretty hard and I was OK I was just bruisedI also fell but I didn’t have my boot on when I fell and I hit my pad of my foot pretty hard and I was OK I was just bruised and it was painful but only for a couple of weeks

are you in major pain do you feel heat coming from your incision area? or have a fever ?

If you have any of those symptoms then you should probably call your doctor just to be on the safe side

• Edited

hi hon I have a plate and screws put in my ankle for a tri fracture end of feb thus year

after they took out my stitches it was pinkish red for a while then the scar turned a brownish purple which for me was normal just as long as it doesn’t have pain where the stitches are or it’s not pussing or oozing you should be OK.

I also fell but I didn’t have my boot on when I fell and I hit my pad of my foot pretty hard and I was OK I was just bruised .

are you in major pain do you feel heat coming from your incision area? or have a fever ?

If you have any of those symptoms then you should probably call your doctor just to be on the safe side

• Posted

Hi Marie,

Thank you for your reply. It's always nice to hear words from someone who knows what I'm going through. I'm glad to hear you're okay after those falls. I cried when mine happened but thinking back it was mostly the scare of weight bearing and breaking it again. I hope you're doing good in your recovery process. I like to say we are part bionic now! haha.

I have not had any fever or pain. The reason I worried, is mainly because my sister who has a medical background (nursing) advised that I get it checked out because to her it seems like blood isn't circulating as it should? and I figured it was because of the falls I had? I'm used to seeing my foot purple and I don't have pain or fever whatsoever. Visually my incisions are healing very nicely which I'm happy about. It's just the swelling and that purple color around the incisions that makes me double think. It's hard to not listen to that little voice in my head that tells me something might be wrong, but also it could be normal since my foot has been through some hard stuff this past month. This all is new to me and not knowing what is normal can be freaky sometimes.

• Posted

this just happened to me 2 weeks ago stitches either side of my ankle .i,m in a backslab at moment and stitches coming out next week . my promlem is im in turkey and drs speak no english

• Edited

hi hun when i feel without my boot on i bruised my ankle and foot pretty bad and the swelling too was rough , but it got better after a couple weeks and so did the pain . im fine now ,, doc said we have major hardware in there .

call your doc and ask his office about your concerns .

praying your ok

• Posted

Hi Marie,

Thank you for that. I have a scheduled appoinment soon. Definitely hard with all those COVID stuff happening but hopefully all is well How long after your boot did you start walking?

• Posted

I had a virtual doctors appointment yesterday and had x-rays a couple days before that he said everything looks good in my bone is healed and I’m right on track with my healing

Glory be to God !!!!

I stopped wearing my boot because it hurts and it rubs on the side of my ankles and I put a tennis shoe on And started walking ,I call it more of a limp/duck walk but I start physical therapy this Friday

I hope you’re feeling better every day.

it will get better you just have to give yourself time to heal everyone heals differently and everyone goes through almost the same problems but sometimes not. have a great day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.