Argentina

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone travelled there recently?

Any hints, tips etc.

After a bad year of new and ever changing health problems, then a new Doctor who wants me off pred yesterday, and then after reading Dan rowers recent post, I made a rash decision and bought a return flight to Argentina, to get myself back out into the world, and fight my desire to become a recluse.

Then I saw the long list of immunisations our Govt sees as necessary for this journey. Hmmmm, I suspect they might not all mix well with pred so I have decided, not to get any.

I do hope a change of scenery will put me in a better head space.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I think it would be worth getting the typhoid one at least.

• Posted

I guess I should at least do a little research about them. It all seemed too difficult at the time.

• Posted

I don't know. I think I'd rather risk the immunizations than the diseases, which are rather nasty.

• Posted

A friend with PMR and on pred has just been for 2 weeks - no problems at all. I think she had the shots the UK requires with no problem.

• Posted

PS - what sort of holiday? She went on a tour - different matter if you aren't maybe?

• Posted

We are just cruising around by ourselves.....local buses.......staying cheap (mostly). We only eat food hot off the grill and from places filled with locals. We hope they know best.

I am still torn between taking my chances on meeting up with a disease, or filling my body with even more shots. The gambles of life.

I read a paper years ago, written by a doctor, way back in time, warning about the dangers of over immunisation, and how more than a certain number (6, I think) would scramble the immune system. Interesting paper. I must look for it again.

• Posted

When are you leaving? You need several weeks for vaccines to take full effect. And do any of them require more than one dose?

• Posted

There is a downside to using places used by locals - they are also more likely to have the feared lurgies... I don't know much about the epidemiology of such lurgies in Argentina though.

• Posted

We took that advice about eating, from an 84 year old friend of the family (12 years ago). We went up the Amazon , Peru, Ecuador, Chile and we did not catch anything(that we know of). Old friend had just come back from 3 months over there, canoeing, hiking etc, and she always ate hot of the grill. We were probably a little more selective. She was obviously very healthy tho, still canoeing and hiking with the young ones. One of lifes characters.

• Posted

I did not think that through. I never thought of those possibilities. We leave in 6 weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.