Argh!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Yet another GP appointment that i always go with intentions of getting my low mood sorted but everytime i seem to bottle it and beat myself up afterwards.

Trouble is i have seen one GP who doesnt listen and shoves you off with tablets and i do not trust him! Saw a different GP and she was lovely but i could not say it!

I am not sure ifit is that if i admit it, it then becomes a real problem for me to deal with!

Any one had a similar experience, or any advice please?? :'(

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I was the same and it took me nearly a year to admit I was struggling to my GP. I am lucky that I have an understanding doctor who I'd been seeing about other health issues for a while and he'd actually brought it up at a previous appointment but I told him I was fine. He therefore was not surprised when I finally asked for help and we discussed all my options. He did offer me tablets but when I said I was uncomfortable with them he did listen and refered me for cbt and counselling. He also asked me back for a longer appointment where we discussed the background to my depression and he did say that he was glad I told him what I did as it helped him understand so that he can better guide me in managing and treating my depression.

I can understand why you don't just want to be given tablets and if that is all he does it would go to another doctor. Trust is important especially when discussing personal issues.

I was pushed to go by my family and I am so glad I went. Although I did end up taking tablets as I got really bad in November it was arranged that I'd review this in January and I am now reducing them. I feel in control of my treatment and I have agreed that if I start to go down again I will call the surgery.

I hope that you can speak to your GP and get the help you need. I was wondering if you had anyone you can speak to about this or who could go with you?

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, Not really family wise may have a friend but she isnt close to come with me and i feel it is something i need to do on my own.

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

There is a real problem there otherwise you wouldn't be confiding in those on this forum who have similar issues. The first step in getting better is admitting you have a problem and seeking help from the medical profession who are best equipped to treat you. I know it's a big step but I just don't want to see you get any worse or suffer more than you need to. Please just write it down or get someone to come along with you or you'll be trapped in this loop and things won't improve. No one is judging you - only you are. You are not letting anyone down but as with most of us depressives, your behaviour is bordering on the self-destructive/self-sabotaging. Good luck my friend :-) x

• Posted

Hi Digsby,

Thank you i know it is something i have to do. Yesterday was a bad day and i know that is not an excuse, some are better than others.

smile Thank you

• Posted

It will happen when the circumstances and timing are right. Until then, don't beat yourself up or pile expectation on yourself. Try to relax and you will be able to do what needs to be done :-)

Hope you are feeling as if you are heading in the right direction. Keep in touch xx

• Posted

Hi Digsby,

Had a good weekend, havent said that in a while!

Feel more upbeat than i did, i'm trying not to let things get the better of me now which seems to be helping.

smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.