Aripripiprazole for bi polar

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

Am thinking of going on the anti psychotic aripiprazole. Has anybody taken this drug for bi polar? and how did you get on with it? Was on rispiridone but couldn't cope with the side effects.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise,

I have been taking the anti psycholic Aripiprazole for a number of years now along with citalapram (anti-depressant) and DEPAKOTE (semisolium valproate) used as a mood stabilizer (not to be confused with sodium valproate which is for epileptics)

The reason I was put on Aripiprazole was to bring me down from a manic episode which caused me to be hospitalized.  Since discharge from hospital I have been able to 'tweak' doses based on my insight of whether I am going high or low.

Hope this helps

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy

Thanks for replying. Went on it a couple of months ago after being hospitalized. Is much more energizing than rispiridone and am Not like a zombiesmile

Lou

• Posted

Hi Lou

Glad you are feeling better and not zombified.....

Keep up the good work!

By the way, have you completed a WRAP booklet? (Wellness Recovery Approach).  I would be interested to know.

Regards

Wend smile

• Posted

Hi Wendy

What dose are you on. I am on 30 mg at present. Feel kinda detached and heavy at moment. Am back at work part-time, too. Hopefully will have my dose reduced in a few months. What's the most you have been on?

Thanks

Lou

• Posted

Hi Louise,

I am on 20mg  a day of Aripiprazole 10mg morn and 10mg night.  This is the most I have been on.

I do feel tired and usually have a nap in the afternoon to get through the day.

Wendy

x

• Posted

Hey Wendy, that's the amount I am aiming forsmile. I too have a nap in the afternoon, lol. How long you been on it for?
  • Posted

Hey there Lou,

I've been on it since 2009, so quite a long time.  It seems to work so I'm not complaining.  I have had slight blips but not been hospitalised since a very brief stay in 2012 when I asked my CPN to get me in as I was going manic.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.