Arm Pain without chest pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all

I'm 36 and was taking propranolol for anxiety but had to stop it due to the side effects. After stopping, I had a rebound effect where I had palpitations and chest pain. I also had a pain in my shoulder and running down my arm. I was sent to A and E by the GP and I was given an ECG, Chest X-Ray and blood work (not sure what they checked but they took 6 vials) - all were fine and the doc said my trop levels were normal, my heart wasn't enlarged and there was no sign of damage to the heart. Also said that my QTC was normal (had to check this because I was also taking Citalopram). He put it down to my anxiety and coming off the propranolol.

My GP phoned as a follow up and I told him that I still had this pain in my arm (but no longer in my chest), palpitations and a bit of breathlessness. He sent me for another ECG which I had a few days ago - I have not received the results yet as it was an appointment rather than a referral. I was thinking that they'd get a hold of me quickly if something was wrong. My pulse during the ECG was 134 but I get really nervous in hospitals so put it down to that.

The arm pain is pretty constant but does get worse with movement and exercise - Can this be a sign of angina without chest pain? I'm not sure if its maybe just an arm injury e.g. trapped nerve or if its just my anxiety.

thanks

Alan

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi my mum is in the same boat.she had pain in her left arm and shoulder her GP just gave her a s**t load of painkillers.he never referred her for an ECG which i wasn't happy about as it could be heart related but since she hasn't had any tests were left with no answers next time i'm just ringing an ambulance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.