Armpit, left breast and chest pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

A couple of months ago I started to feel discomfort lying on my left side. I quickly decided it was discomfort in breast tissue, so just assumed would settle. Then it started to feel uncomfortable/odd my left arm resting against the breast wall, and armpit started feeling odd. I became a bit obsessed then feeling all the time! Next thing my chest wall aching all across, and breathing in made me feel wheezy, although not breathless. I now have all symptons, and dull permanent ache in my chest . Sternum hurts to ores against. GP diagnosed "c" , prescribed paracetamol & naproxen. After a couple of months, and age, 49 (hysterectomy 10 years ago) referral to breast clinic too, before considering chest x ray & physio. Anyone else suffering /suffered similarly ? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes, my costo started exactly like that. Diagnosed a week later with tender points above the Breast, below the collar bone. It spread after that to the whole breast cage including, shoulder blades, neck and jaw.
    • Posted

Thank you, bit more reassuring to hear others have experienced similar, as your mind wanders, and I think anxiety makes symptons worse, I hope it eases for us all.
  • Posted

Hi Karen,

Last July my symptoms started just as you described but they came after a bout with bronchitis. I thought at first it was breast related but then the pain traveled to my ribs and sternum. Then after another month the pain traveled to my right side. I had an xray and it was determined I had cosoto because the xray ruled out any other issues, I also had a clean mammogram and 2 xrays of my back. The pain was terrible and I didnt get relief from anything. They tried a steroid, muscle realxant and ibuprophen. Nothing helped. the pain is now in my back and arms. I currently go to physical therapy 2x a week and a chiro. 2x a week. In the last month I have seen some improvement, but believe me, not fast enough! Before this I was a healthy 52 year old female. One other thing I am dealing with that I was told is making this worse is that my husband is battling cancer and had a stem cell transplant last August. So while I was dealing with this crazy pain, I was also watching the loveof my life embark on a horrible journey! Lastly, I was just put on an antidepressant in hopes that it helps to calm me down and lessen the pain. I have seen a difference! I hope this helps

• Posted

Bizzare how these things appear. My life stressful, but nothing not controlled. So sorry to hear that. Life is a challenge that is for sure. I hope you have controlled, calmer times ahead. Thanks for replying 
  • Posted

Mine is more sensitive to when I lie on my left side also. For whatever reason, more comfortable to lie on my left. The thing that works best for me is 2 alleve for first dose, then regular dosing thereafter. My doctor's nurse said I could take 2 alleve per dose as long as I'm having a "flare-up", I hate to do that, but I'll say this, it really knocks the pain out when I do.

Good Luck!

• Posted

Mmm, will consider that too. Thanks for replying. 😊
  • Posted

Karen,

I was just reading over my first reply to you. You know what, I mis-typed (in the second sentence) that it was more comfortable to lie on my left. I meant to type it was more comfortable to lie on my right

• Posted

you have just described exactly how my pain started and how it is now, it’s been driving me mad feeling like people don’t get it I had a chest x-ray that came back clear but still can’t help worrying and thinking is something worse.

• Posted

Guys could you please tell me how you got rid of costochondritis? I have been dealing with this condition for 3 months and I think it's getting worse because at first I only felt pain around my chest area but now I also feel pain around my arm. Please give me any advice. Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.