Armpit pain and lump in breast

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I started getting some pain in my left armpit on and off in August. Saw my gp a couple of times about it as it persisted but no lumps. He didn'the think it was of concern. Then just after Christmas I found a lump in my left breast. It moves little. I saw my gp who initially said wait until after my next period to see if it disappeared as I am only 31 and there is no history of bc in my family. Lump did not disappear though so have been referred and now waiting for Fri when I have appointment at breast clinic.

I am trying to keep positive but deep down am really scared as what might be found. Especially as I have 2 very young children.

It's worrying me more that as well as the lump I have had pain in my armpit for a while. Maybe totally unrelated but I also keep getting chills for no apparent reason.

Any positive stories appreciated.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The chances of it being malignant is very low, around ninety per cent of lumps in the breast are benign.
  • Posted

Thank you both for your replies. Yes I read that most lumps are nothing to worry about so hoping mine is one of those. I am still breastfeeding my youngest but have cut down a lot over last couple of months so maybe it could be linked to that. I guess Fri will have the answer.
    • Posted

It is awful having to wait. I don't think doctors realise the stress people go through.
  • Posted

Hi Lisa43476,

Its good advice to not worry and to wait for the results to come in.  I sincerely hope that it is linked to changes in breastfeeding.  On the other hand, I don't how you handle or deal with stress but being logical and preparing for a worst case scenario may help if its less than good news. 

I was diagnosed with IDC in the right breast in Sept-2014.  Deep down, I knew what the mammo was going to say.  So I prepared myself mentally......and only had about 4 days to do so before my GP called.  Despite the fact I had done my homework, the news still stunned me. 

Now, I know you wanted to hear positive stories so here you go:  I had just started a new job in a new industry 5 days prior to my diagnosis!  Fortunately, my employer said my job would be there when I came back.  Because its a unionized job, I worked crazy long hours in order to attain union status.  I wanted to be sure that I did in fact have something to go back to.  No one needs to have to worry about having a job after going through a year or more of any illness .  I guess what I'm trying to say is, should push come to shove, take the long view.  I swear it helped me get through it. 

One of my sisters also helped me enormously.  One of her friends, (who has children) was diagnosed with the same cancer as mine but she was closer to you in age.  She is now cancer free!  Even though I never spoke to her, my sister forwarded my questions and she replied based on what had helped her get through it. 

There is a friend of a friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2015.  Hers was rather aggressive and grew fast.  She experienced pain but ignored it at first.  She is progressing well now and last I heard she was ready to start radiation therapy.  She is almost at the end!

I have also come to the end, have one more treatment left and have already started a progressive return to work.  Its true appreciation of the little things that help you through rough times.  Friends, family, kids, pets, (my 3 dogs were very important for me in this whole process) can be an incredible source of positive energy.

One last thing and perhaps I'm out of line here but if you have the chance of finding a new GP, go for it.  In my humble opinion, he dragged his feet for too long. 

Sincere best wishes that your news is good!  Hoping that you update your post!

best, Sylvia

• Posted

Thanks very much for your response Sylvia. I am glad to hear you are doing well now and thanks for sharing stories of others you know. I have been trying to prepare myself mentally either way, good or bad news.

I understand your point about the gp. I actually saw a different one about the pain in my armpit to the one who referred me for the lump. The gp who referred me for the lump didn't seem to think there was any significance to the pain in my armpit eother though. Maybe because the lump is near my breastbone, but guess we wait and see.

I will update you with how I get on, on Friday.

Thanks again

Lisa

• Posted

Feeling very thankful tonight after examination and ultrasound at breast clinic today everything is normal. Doctor said it is just some normal breast tissue.

Thanks to everyone for their positive comments and wishing you all good health.

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I'm SO happy for you!! 

Best wishes to you for continued great health!!

Sylvia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.