arms feeling heavy and dead

Posted , 17 users are following.

Over the past two weeks I've been experiencing terrible arm deadness it feels like I've slept on them even thou I have not. Really freaking me out now anyone got any ideas, I have recently been diagnosed with possible fibromyalgia could this be another symptom. I have also recently started taking amertripolyn tablets could this be a side effect? Any help or advice would be great.

Lee

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry i swore. Just so fed up with this but basically saying how there can't be a blood test to test this awful thing 
  • Posted

Hi Mr.G. Some FibroM patients have peripheral neuropathy. I was having quite a lot sime time ago. Then 2 things, I believe, helped: started suplementing 1500mg of magnesium/day and started  LDN therapy. I believe both had a positive influence.

Besisdes this it seems that ALA- Alpha Lipoic acid is good for peripheral neurpathy as well. I know nothing about "amertripolyn" - sorry! 

All the best.

• Posted

Hi Mr G;   I too, get numbness/tingling,  (the dead/heavy feeling), but in lower legs and feet after lying down after 1/2 hour....I have discussed this with my doc, and know that it's not a circulation problem, and no, I don't think it's related to the Amitrytilline, as I've been on this medication for about 5 years, but this feeling has only started in about the last 6 months or so.....I wear Tubi-grip (it is dsigned to increase circulation....they put it on under plasters etc), and can be bought from the chemist/physio....it really helps me.....I feel it's just ANOTHER symptom of the b.... Fibro? hope this aleviates your worries, but if not, do speak to your doctor to ensure it's not a circulation problem?.....Bron
  • Posted

It was the first symptom that I had back in the 80s. In my case nothing to do with medication as I wasn't on anything.  Mine comes and goes in intensity  - sometimes can't lift arms at all and certainly couldn't drive other times it is just there and very annoying. Did some physio but that didn't help. Bio Freeze helped distract from the feeling but it is just one of those things amongst others that dear old Fibro throws at us.  At least here on the forum we are not alone and we can usually find support from fellow members to help.  
    • Posted

Yes Maggers.....it's places like this forum that does give us the answers we need, and the support.....I also feel lucky that I have my computer....imagine how many others don't even have this form of communication to ask these questions?  When I read re some who are sooooo desperate, that they are thinking of suicide (and not just Fibro patients, but patients with other conditions too).....how they struggle...it's really helpful that we can support/answer each othe....I'm very grateful for all the help that I have received....even amazes me how I found this site in the first place.....Bron
  • Posted

mr G - this is a common symptom of fibro not likely to be side effects of amitriptyline.  i get this often in the mornings, some days i cant lift my right arm at all on its own, i have to use my other arm to lift it and its killer painful.  i am not taking anything other than otc painkillers eg paracetamol so its not side effects for me its just a symptom of the fibro.  i get 'dead leg' too sometimes, in the thigh area and have to massage it to ease the pain/numbness otherwise it is prone to giving way when i stand up.  
  • Posted

I was given Ciproflaxin for a bacterial over growth and the Cipro caused a severe reaction called Neuropathy the pain was to my feet and tendons in my feet. I couldnt walk for three months. My Dr. put me on a experimental drug called Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN). I have reached level of 4mg now its been a couple of months now. Besides the poisoning of Cipro I also suffer from Hoshimotos thyroid, and bad autoimune as well as Fibromygila (exucse spelling). Since LDN no more autoimune flare ups no more pain period. I am losing wieght and feeling great energy galore. Ive kept a journal from day one and can tell you if your not sleeping well try taking LDN later at night even if you have to set you alarm but I take my between 10:00pm and 12:00am I sleep for 8 hrs. I get tired since I am up early and work all day in my garden and home now, I love it. I can tell you a week after you up your dose you might experiance your symptoms returning alittle less everytime you up your dose. I now only worry that I might wake up from this dream and live a hellish life in pain again. I havnt needed a pain killer of any kind including asprin. I am 60 and have suffer for over 8 years in pain I quit my bizz and retired early since I couldnt handle it anymore. talk to your Dr, about LDN and if your serious go nline print up all the trials going on and success its a safe drug with very little side effect.
  • Posted

I get this alot when the muscles tear and are exhausted
  • Posted

I’m currently trying hard to type  with a dead right arm, very heavy, hot, swollen, tingles and burning. I have Crohn’s disease (30yrs) and fibromyalgia (4+yrs), I literally feel your pain. I’m not on any fibro meds as I’m allergic to 2 of them and other causes suicidal thoughts, I’m good without either of those. I take an immune suppressing drug (stelara) for my Crohn’s every 4wks, cyclobenzaprin (muscle relaxer) as needed before bed to help me sleep better, however I also just started taking CBD oil about 7 days ago. It’s expensive but has virtually taken all pain down to about a “normal persons” level 2&3. When I’m physically active it catches up with me still but I did manage to work for 6 hours and drove 50mins each way today and I haven’t had an 8 hour work day in years that I’m able to make it through. For me a minor flare (lvl 6 Pain but rising slightly and slowly) is expected with such intense physical activity (for me anyway). I swear by CBD it has no “high” so its perfect it relaxes your body and lets you feel “limp” or not tensed at all times, my shoulders stop kissing my ears! The pain I’ve lived in my whole life (everything started at 5-7yrs old 30yrs ago) has slowly subsided in only 7 days I’m freaking out in a good way because I feel like I may have a chance of getting a partial life back and being a great mommy to 2+2 amazing children! Good luck Mr.G and remember you have a whole community of people that understand your pain and and want nothing more than to hear your real feeelings. Best wishes always

Brandie 

Takebackyourlife2day! 

• Posted

Hi

I have had a dead arm no for two weeks . At first thought I just sleeper on it but it carried on for a week then last weekend did half marathon and the arm was noticeably worse and has not get any better a week later . It is very hard to raise it and like I said not noticeably getting any better . Can I do anything to heal it as I won't to get running again this week ?? ??😞

• Posted

In 2001, I went to my doctor with what I told him felt like someone filled my legs and arms with lead. He said lets check you for lyme disease. And it came back positive. I don't remember being bitten by a tick, nor did I have any rashes. After much research, anyone with similar symptoms I encourage to be tested themselves even if you're certain you've NEVER been bitten. I was very, very lucky that I had a doctor who thought outside the box. I owe him my life!

• Posted

Have any of you guys tried diet change? Paleo is helping me ❤

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.