Armytriptyline withdrawals

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on armytriptyline for 15 years, 75mg then 50 mg then in August 2014 dropped down to 10mg, I was on them for chronic migraines, but had gone worse so between the doctors and myself decided to drop the dose to 10 mg thinking they may be Triptan related migraines, from then until 1week ago when I came of them altogether, I haven't been able to sleep, some nights I only sleep an hour, is this common, and will my normal sleep pattern return.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It is normal. For this to happen. It is withdrawal symptoms.. things should settle down within a week or two..
    • Posted

Thank you, i hope so, I've started to take Valeria root which is known for the sedative affect but that takes a couple of weeks to kick in, and you can only take them for 4 weeks..I really don't want to go on any other tablets for sleeping .
  • Posted

Well I will be starting to come of mine soon, with me its the fear fac tor that gets me a bit worried, I was on mine for anxiety and depression. Over 10 years long time so I have slowly started to come off them, I have  been given another antidepressiant to take but i would like to be free of them altogether so I will see if I can do without. 
    • Posted

hi, hope it is'nt to bad for you, I'm trying herbal treatment, see if that works, really don't want to take other prescribed medicines to help me sleep.
  • Posted

Well I have 15 days then I will (fingers crossed) not take any more armytriptyline or anti depressants I will try my hardest to get medication free, I will keep an update on how I am going for a while it might help somebody else as well as myself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.