Arnica Gel

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 58 and recently been diagnosed with OA in both hips, quite a blow as I'm very healthy and active.

I've been given Amitriptyline 10mg, but am keen to ask if anyone has used Arnica Gel and had any positive relief.

If given the choice I'd rather not take the Amitriptyline

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello,  I have arthritis in both knees, neck and spine see the consultant Sept.

I have not used Arnica gel so can't help you there.  Maybe someone on this forum can.  I was recommended to try Pernaton Gel, it is made from Green Lipped Mussel extract a  bit like glucosamine I suppose.  From what you say your arthritis is in the early stages, please correct me if I am wrong.  Now I can't take many of the usual pain killers except paracetamol.  I was using ibuprofen gel when the pain was bad about a month ago.  I was not happy with it because I thought if was upsetting my IBS.  I tried the Pernaton and was pleasantly surprised whilst is just dulls the pain, you can use it as much as you like. It has a pleasant menthol smell.  It creates a cooling sensation  You can't buy it at Holland and Barrett probably other health shops as well, around £10 for a 250ml tube.  On Amazon I got a couple of sample sachets for around £1.50 with free postage

so you could order those to try and if it does not suit you would not have spent much.  Apart from that have you been offered any physio yet. Also you

could also try glucosamine/chontroidrin (wrong spelling I think). They say you need a high dose and some people swear by it others it does not help.  Healthspan is a good site to try.  There is an article about the glucosamine and their prices are reasonable. I used to take it when my arthritis was not so severe

and I thought it helped not sure if it would now.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Eve,Have you taken amitryptyline before Eve  i have taken it for nerve pain and found it very good also helpful in making you sleep at night  Best Wishes

• Posted

Hi

I cant take amitriptyline because it clashes with some other meds I take.

As for arnica gel.....yes I vary between that and pernaton.

At the moment I've just run out of pernaton so am using the  arnica gel.

Its not as greasy as pernaton iof you put it on during the day and dont want it on your clothes......provided ytou put it on thinly.

I'm still trying to decide between the two of thembiggrin

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi

i know what you mean I felt the same when I was diagnosed I had been in papain for a long time but thought it was old ligament injury and I was paying a fortune for physio which made it worse

i take nepraxin and paracetamol but to be honest they don't really work so I might try some of the gels 

• Posted

Hi,

After reading about Arnica I've decided to try the tablets as I realise that I also have similar pain in the ball of my foot.  There are two strengths so will try the 6c first. There are also no contraindications with Thyroxine so that's good news.  I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the reply.

• Posted

Hi

I think there is a diference in the gels and the tabs. The only tablets I've come across are for bruises and that sort of thing. I used them regularly when my kids were little and always falling  down etc biggrin

You can get arnica cream which is for the same thing but the arnica gel is for muscle pain, strains, arthritis etc so is different to the cream.

Where would you get it? A health food shop? Ask them before you buy

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hello Eve,

Sorry to hear you have OA in hips, that must be painful. I have OA in hands and possibly spine, tho I also have Fibromyalgia so it is difficult to tell which pain is which.

Why do you not want to take the Amitrypilene? 10mg is a very low dose, and if it works - great!  I take it and has certainly helped me with the pain and sleeping.

Take care, Anne

• Posted

OA in hips, right knee and lower spine.  I take 1 paracetamol and 1 co-codamol for the pan, as 2 co-codamol make me feel ill.  I've also been prescribed Peroxicam gel by my GP but prior to that I used Pernaton gel which gave me some relief so I can recommend it.  I believe you can also get Pernaton in tablet form.  I also take Glucosamine 1500mg (which has had the side effect of making my nails really strong) and 1000mg Omega 3 fish oil.  Some days are worse then others but mostly I feel like I'm just marking time until I can get hip replacements.
  • Posted

Hi

I have used Arnica Gel and have been on AMITRITYLINE I actually took 10mg with my usual co codamol and ibuprofen although I did take the the Amitriptyline about an hour before the others.it is best to take it around 7.30 pm so that it does'nt make you drowsy the next day. Although I was in terrible pain I did get a good nights sleep.

As for the Arnica gell I do use it when my lovely husband gives me a massage its very cooling and my tip is keep it in the fridge.

Hope this helps

Louisa

• Posted

Oh I ended up doing a hip replacement in 2010 and it's been a mess for me...lifechanging in not a good way for me....I was 72 at the time...so now 76 and my activity level is close to zero. I peddle my recumbent bike and walk where I need to go....very sad issue to say the least. j
  • Posted

Hi

i have been using Arnica Massage Balm for about a year now. I used it initially on my knee as I had been diagnosed with OA.  I also use a Tens unit from time to time.

i have just been diagnosed with mild OA in both hips, and some days the pain is bearable. Today I maxed out on all my painkillers and now I cannot sleep.

• Posted

I hope this helps, I ended up having both hips replaced, but definatly Arnica Gel helped both before and after. Recently my Dr gave me a analgesic gel which didn't help, today I put my arnica gel on and there was a substantial improvement. Goidluck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.