Arrhythmia at 22

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had an arrhythmia for about 6 months now. Sometimes it just feels like a mild flutter or a fast paced thumping in my chest, but sometimes it races really fast and I go dizzy and struggle breathing normally. I now get them about 5 times per day, lasting anywhere between 10 mins and several hours. I have had ECGs, echos, exercise tests, 24 and 48 hour monitors, blood tests and an x-ray but they always come back normal and I keep being told it is anxiety. It is starting to get me down and I feel very distressed as I am constantly worrying about it, any advise or anyone going through something similar?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you are going through this.  Can I ask, have any of the episodes of arrythmia been recorded on your ECGs or directly by a medical professional?  If so, how are they explained?  Have you found anything that brings on the attacks?  Is there a pattern to them, eg do they come on at particular times of day or night?  How do the attacks affect you blood pressure?  Also, are you on any medication such as beta blockers?  Apologies for all the questions!

• Posted

Hi, I have the same symptoms as you and had the same tests during my stay in hospital for 10 days last June but was not diagnosed with AFIB until 2 months ago. I am now on blood thinners and saw a physiologist last week and he said I qualify for the operation.. Ablation.. because the 2 meds I tried did not work for me...

I have had symptoms for a long time and they are a nuisance so I know what you are going through if you do have AFIB. Perhaps when you had the tests you was not having an attack, so would not show up. 

Hope you have some answers from your Dr soon.    

• Posted

@Pam143 thanks, it has been recorded on my ECGs and I think they said it was ventricular ectopics. But the symptoms where it races too fast has unfortuantely not been recorded. I can't seem to find a pattern, they used to happen when I was sitting still but now I get them while I am busy at work and even when I sleep. My blood pressure is perfect and I have been told this is why I shouldn't go on blood thinners. They have not prescribed any medication as yet.

@Merryl I am not sure why I haven't been given more information as it has shown up on my ECGs. Glad that you are getting the treatment you need, can I ask which meds did not work for you?

• Posted

Hi, the meds I had was bisoprolol and flecanaide. I was also told last June that I had ectopic beats and then 2 months ago was told I had AFIB. My heart is sound though. My blood pressure is usually good but when I have an attack it goes up. I got my own blood pressure so I can keep an eye on my pulse too. I have postural hypotension which was also diagnosed in hospital. My blood pressure was 80/40 when I stood up and I nearly passed out. I read online that hypotension can happen with AFIB.

• Posted

I have similar, WMal.  Episodes of ectopic beats which, i am told, are common and nothing to worry about, but also episodes of tachycardia which are definitely frightening!  I have been told I have atrial flutter (my GP is questioning this as it doesn't show on my ECGs) and have been put on beta blockers which are controling the tachycardia though I still get the 'dropped beats'.  I haven't really found a pattern to my 'attacks', I just seem to have good days and bad days and haven't yet found a pattern or a stimulating cause.  Are you under the care of a cardiologist?  Can you ask for an appointment soon and tell him or her how you are feeling?  It doesn't sound like anxiety to me and I reckon there should be treatment that will help.  Let us know how it goes!
  • Posted

Sounds like SVT to me. Do the really fast beats come on suddenly and end suddenly? Is the beat regular?
    • Posted

Yes,  I have only had two episodes, apart from a few seconds long one in between!  The first happened while we were leaving a holiday gite in France in October - 30 minutes or so of 180bpm.  The second in my GP's surgery.  Had a 24 hour monitor and apparently I topped 240 bpm during the night while I was asleep.  Have seen a cardiologist but no ECG evidence of atrial flutter, he seemed to be taking the word of a cardiac ward nurse in the hospital whom I saw while I was in a and e.  GP agrees with you.  Meanwhile, I go on wih propranolol.  All ok on very low dose, except for something weird - about once a week I get horrible feelings of doom and I feel confused, difficult to think, etc. difficult to breathe, too.   BP rises rapidly when this is happening, not mega high (highest reading 169/103) but much higher than normal for me.  Usually I get a headache as well, in forehead over right eye.  Scary!  It is not anxiety, I am sure.  It often occurs in the night and wakes me.  Any ideas, anyone?  Sorry to take over your post, WMal!
    • Posted

if you are taking Beta blockers they can cause mental problems like those I have had. I have been on different types of Beta blocker ans they muddle my thinking and give me deja vu, which is scary at times. Takes me an hour or so to decide what is real.
  • Posted

The emergency service it's a joke they told me it was in my mind and @ the end they found AFIB go to a professional cardiologist a private one and ask his opinion do not let this incompetent people endangers your life.

• Posted

Sounds like you are getting SVT's, talk to your GP and get a heart monitor to check your heart when you get an attack.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.