Arthritic Mid-foot Fusion

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good afternoon People, I had mid foot fusion four months ago.  I have found all these posts most helpful and informative,thank you.  I think I am doing okay, however, I do still have some pain and quite a lot of swelling, most especially towards the end of the day, with both feet.  I have read several posts and can totally understand several peoples' feelings.  I, too, had to use a wheelchair to get around and was totally dependent on my daughters, husband and very good friend.  I need to have my other foot done as well; however, I do notice that many people are not eager to go back for the same surgery on their other foot.  My other foot is deteriorating rapidly, and as well, it puts a lot of pressure on my new knees, which are only four years old.

It is necessary to have my other foot done if I want to continue my active life; yesterday, when I was driving, I realised that if I don't have my other foot done, I will not be able to drive much longer.  I have just started to drive again after my surgery, however, that may not last for long as I am noticing that it hurts my unoperated foot, which is necessary to use while driving.  I am a senior citizen, but not too senior. I have seen where several other people have said they will not go back again for the surgery on the other foot. Can somebody please tell me how long it takes for the swelling to go down completely and for a complete recovery and to be able to wear a pair of shoes again.  I walk barefoot around the house and also sometimes wear my orthotics, however I can only wear the shoe on my operated foot for a very short while and must rely on the moonboot when I go out.

I have not been told about the need for any physiotherapy.

I look forward to any helpful replies.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janice,

I wish you the best with your recovery. I am looking to have a Cartiva surgery to fix the very arthritic big toe joint. The doctor says that he needs to make more space for that joint by shortening the metatarsal - which means a TMT (mid-foot) fusion.

After reading the posts here I am very nervous to have this procedure.

Has anyone here had a successful mid-foot fusion??

I had a Cheilectomy in Dec-2015 for my big toe and it's not been 15months since and I have seen minor improvements still. It is considered minor surgery.

I'm 50 and very active. The Cheilectomy was not done well and has made my toe worse, which is why I'm looking to have the Cartiva done.

I'm in Canada and here it is done privately. I'm ok with the Cartiva surgery, the but the mid-foot fusion scares the heck out of me.

He says that he also needs to do a bone graft to replace some of the bone on the joint that was taken away (a lot was removed from the side of the bone at the joint) during the last surgery.

I understand the recovery will be 1-2 years but my options are few. I do not want to fuse my toe.

Has anyone had a sucessful mid foot fusion?

Best wishes to all for a fast recovery.

• Posted

Oh and physio is VERY important. The doctor should be able to give you the recovery list to give to a PT. That too should last about a year - apparently. (Going by what I've read and been told. I also had a friend that had a toe fusion)

• Posted

I'm recovering right now from a flat foot reconstruction on my left foot. I am also struggling with the "moon boot" as you say, haha. I just tried to walk in my regular shoe and it wa a disaster. So much pain!! I put the moon boot back on. I have a lot of swelling too, even though I ice at least twice a day, one of those times being a very long time in the evening. Physical therapy is very important. I don't think I could be going through all of this without my therapists! Also, I asked one of the physical therapists when my cankle would ever go back down to my regular sized ankle and she said it would probably take a year. 

Oh and I have to get my right foot done too and I am NOT looking forward to it. Loss of independence is the biggest thing for me. I hate not being able to do things. My family has really been amazing and helped me so much. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.