Arthritic wrist supports

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone currently used a wrist support for their Arthritis.. If so, do you pay for the pleasure and look for anything specific, if not why not?

Thankyou in advance

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rebecca. Yes you can get wrist supports for Arthritis. You do have to buy them, unless you have RA in which case your Rheumatologist will prescribe what you need. Most High St chemists sell them and also try googeling wrist support in Health supplies on Amazon and Ebay. They might be cheaper online! I found some decent gloves for OA of my hand and there are special ones for wrists on pharmaceutical websites. Good luck, Ellie rolleyes
    • Posted

Thankyou! I've had a look online, is there anything in particular that you go for? What about the ones with heat elements?
    • Posted

Hi Rebecca, sorry i didn't get back until now, busy day. I don't wear the heated ones, mine are compression gloves which are supposed also to help circulation which in theory should help pain as your hands/fingers are warm all the time. I've noticed that they are worse in cold weather! Try to wear warm gloves in winter, the knitted type suit me best. There are some types of Arthritis gloves which have a metal bar in to support the wrist and carpal tunnel syndrome. Can't really give you names but if you keep looking or try the larger chain chemists, (UK)!  Best wishes, Ellie
  • Posted

Hi Rebecca14753,

I needed one for each wrist, the type with an integral plate to support the wrist. I bought the first 2 from Boots then when I wore them out I went to my GP and they directed me to the OT in the Physiotherapy dept of our local health centre where they replaced them for me free of charge. So I would ask your GP first, You never know...You might be glad you did and as the old saying goes 'If you don't ask, You don't get' and there's no harm in asking. Hope that helps

• Posted

Thanks Stephen, do you know of there are any requirements to get one for free? Also I'm not sure whether buying one myself will mean I get a better fit and longer lasting product?
    • Posted

Usually the ones supplied by NHS are the same quality & in some cases even the same make as the ones bought in the high street. Plus either way they will measure your wrist etc to get the right size. Boots offer the service and I'm sure the OT would do the same.
    • Posted

I'm sure the Doctor having confirmed OA or RA would quite readily refer you to Physio, to the OT to be supplied with whatever you need. If you let the Dr. know exactly what you think you need and I'm sure you will both arrive at a consensus smile
  • Posted

Hi Rebecca; I have had OA for quite some time, and have trialled a few different types, and I think the best ones that I have trialled (and continue to use), are special OA gloves (mittens), that support the wrist/finger joints, but leave the finger-tips free for typing etc..............I have trialled the ones "that have the metal/magnets in them", but found them cumberson and no use (and as my Rhuemy said, if people say that the magnets work, then they really don't have OA/psychologically FEEL they are working, for there is no way magnets can help OA).........these OA gloves are found in Pharmacies (and of All places, Aldi at certain times)....they are thermal lined, and can be strapped fitted with a Velcro secure......and of course, always rub with an OA gel before putting mittens on (one that does not have too strong a menthol as it will irritate with the Thermal).........keep up your OA Panadol per routine, and good luck.....Bron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.