Arthritis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, Back in August this year (2019 I was diagnosed with Cervical Spondylosis.

MyC5-6 discs are worn....wear and tear from age. I now think I have more going

on as I wake up with painful neck, shoulder, arms, legs, knees, hips and buttocks.

The pain is awful. I've recently had a blood test to check my inflammatory markers

(CRP) and really hope I don't get diagnosed with Polymyalgia Rheumatica as there

is a risk of getting Giant Cell Arteritis with this condition and if not treated swiftly

with Prednisone steroid tablets there is a risk of blindness.

Is there anyone that suffers the same?

Thank you

Anne

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have had OA for decades and in 1999 at the age of 67 I was diagnosed with PMR. My markers and unusual weight loss confirmed the diagnosis. Neither of these symptoms is necessarily present so I considered myself lucky.

The pain you describe may be PMR but maybe not. It certainly is excruciating.

At first my GP had thought it was the OA giving me pain in new places but my very rapid response to 30mgs. of Prednisolone (I am in the UK ) was the final clincher.

I can understand your horror at the thought of GCA but I believe I am right in saying that only a minority of PMR patients go on to develop it. Be very aware of jaw stiffness/pain when chewing and lose no time in reporting these symptoms. It would mean taking a higher dose of Pred.

Altogether I had PMR for eight years ( two bouts five years apart ) but no GCA.

Best of luck and come back if you have more questions.

I highly recommend the PMR section on here.

• Posted

Thank you so much for that information, so kind of you and may well get more advise from you. I live in UK and am 72

Anne

• Posted

By the way Betty my blood test report showed that my Platelets were 514.....max is 143 - 400....so quite high. Seeing a rheumatologist this Friday

Anne

• Posted

I need thank you need to stop the train . I had PMR it's since gone into remission. It is a treatable condition with steroids and it is extremely painful because of inflammation. And while GCA s a sister of PMR it is not an absolute. Many people with PMR don't get GCA . even those who do get GCA many of those are simply treated and never have a vision problem at all.,

• Posted

Thank you for your reply

Regards

Anne

• Posted

Hello. I was diagnosed with cervical spondylosis and stenosis with bulging discs in 2011 after suffering for about 3 years prior. I don't know for sure, but I think discs C5 and C6 degenerate more than the others. At any rate I went through the whole nine yards of treatments (7 epidural shots, physical therapy, TENS treatment, one acupuncture experience) I got zero relief and my discs deteriorated further. I ended up having 2 surgeries: a so called minimally invasive "posterior discectomy" which was a nightmare and didn't help at all, and in 2013 I had an ACDF: Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion, in which they inserted a plate in my neck. The last surgery did help the stenosis (greatly reduced the numbness and tingling in my hands and arms).

I was never told anything about polymyalgia rheumatica or giant cell arteritis so I assume my symptoms did not indicate those conditions. And I hope you do not have either, as well.

But I do know about prednisone. I also have moderate to severe asthma, so I have had countless in-patient hospitalizations over the years and always with mega doses of intravenous steroids and prednisone. While I know the intravenous steroids work, I found I was very sensitive to the prednisone. It only took one month on it for my blood sugar to rise to dangerous levels, my potassium levels dropped, and I even showed signs of Cushings syndrome...my face blew up like a basketball, I gained a lot of weight, and my eyes even started to bulge. The doctor took me off the pred, but even though I stepped down as usual, I had excruciating leg cramps, which is a withdrawal symptom related to pred. Bottom line, I HATE prednisone and will not take it. I do use a steroid inhaler but the side effects are almost unnoticeable.

That said, I know there are conditions that where prednisone is a must because it's the most effective thing they have (at present) to reduce inflammation. Just study the info about this medication and understand the risks. Everyone is an individual and your reaction to it may be very different from mine.

I wish you well and hope you let us know how you're getting along.

peace, Jackie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.