Arthritis and broken bones

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have any of you developed arthritis after breaking a bone? I broke my ankle this past summer which didn't require surgery.  I noticed that once that the weather turned colder my knee started to really bother me and I had it checked out and the doctor said I had oestroarthritis.  Now that the really frigid winter has set in, I am feeling pain in my knees, feet, and hips.  Before my injury I would get occasional pain in my knee that would last only a short time but now I have discomfort and pain everyday especially when I have to work.

Has anyone else have arthritis flare up after an injury?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

With OA the symptoms gradually get worse so I suspect you are at the next stage. The injury may have put extra pressure on the knee. Time to talk to a knee expert to see what they can do 
  • Posted

I've read that injury sites are often where arthritis sets in first. I have sprained both ankles years ago and fallen numerous times on my knees while skating. My knees and ankles were my first sites to contract arthritis.

Since then my lower back, fingers, shoulders, hips, and elbows have begun to scream!

I was always extremely active as a kid, teen, and young adult. Tree climbing, jumping off stuff, falling off my bike, skating, etc. I am reaping the "rewards" of all those activities NOW as I battle arthritis.

I probably would have contracted arthritis if I would have been a couch potato because both sides of my family have Osteoarthritis. I probably SECURED my fate with injuries I contracted early in my life. I've not broken any bones though I've sprained those ankles and used up boxes of Band-Aids and bandages over the years on my knees and elbows!

• Posted

I had a tibial plateu fracture nearly three years ago.  I was told at the time that there was a very small amount of OA showing on the xrays and that this would almost inevitably become worse in the fractured limb.  But I have to say I have not noticed any trouble with my knees.  I have taken glucosamine (1000 mg twice a day) for many years and otherwise eat a pretty healthy diet with attention paid to avoiding refined grains and sugar, reserving them for treats.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.