arthritis and giddiness

Posted , 4 users are following.

A friend of mine who has been diagnosed with arthritis on top of scoliosis suffers from a type of giddiness - which was happening before any medication. It isn't really dizzy spells - she describes that she feels she has a heavy weight in her head that pulls her in a specific direction. The feeling is worse if she has to bend down and then get up. Does anyone else with arthritis have a similar problem?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I suffer from neck arthritis and I too sometime feel dizzy, slighted spaced out and my neck starts to hurt usually end of the day after too much computer use or bending forward like when I do crosswords.  I find just laying down for a while with heat on my neck works.  I do also suffer from anxiety and that can cause these sorts of symptoms as well.  Hope this is of some help.
    • Posted

Hi - very many thanks for your response - I will be talking to my friend later today and will tell her what you said. She gets it very bad and finds it very debilitating.

Many thanks and all the best

• Posted

Hi again - I just talked to my friend and she was wondering if your medication was the same as hers. She is prescribed and takes 1 pregabalin (25mg), I amitryptalin (10mg) and 2 2.5ml oramorph.

All the best

Mary

• Posted

Hi Mary, No I don't take any of these just paracetamol, and ibuprofen gel not really enough but I can't take stronger ones like codeine and nsaids as they upset my IBS.  Apart from that I also take medication for blood pressure,Thyroid, Asthma and IBS.  Sorry can't really help. 

Best wishes Carol

• Posted

Hi Mary

Sorry I'm not much help. I have oA and scoliosis but not suffered from giddiness

Is there no trigger to when it happens?

If she could find something like that then she would have an idea what to avoid and it might help

Sorry...like I said not a lot of help but I do sympathise

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. My friend has tried to work out what the trigger was initially when it first occurred but now she has it most of the time but much worse some of the time. She does try to do a bit of yoga and I wonder sometimes if this doesn't help although I am a big fan of the benefits of yoga.

Thanks again -

Mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.