Arthritis in fingers - ugly lumps

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with Arthritis in my fingers a year ago and told there is no medication except for anti inflamatories. The progression has been very rapid, I have a horrible lump on the top joint of my index finger and can feel one coming now in the next joint down also twinges in other fingers and wrist.I am 50 years old and am worried what I wil be like in another 5 years. I have taken Glucos. fish oil and collagen for the last 5 years, not sure if it does anything but frightened to stop. Any info anyone has I would appreciate.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

There is medication for treating arthritis on the market..Celebrex is one that I take. I see a Rhumy for I have many itisis.
  • Posted

Lynne, many years ago I suddenly developed intense pain in one of my fingers and a short while afterwards a swelling appeared on the joint, following which the pain disappeared.  Over the following months/years, I had exactly the same experience in other fingers, with the resultant lumps being diagnosed as Heberden's Nodes.  Look it up.  At around the same time, I developed repetitive strain injury in the base of both thumbs which was so very painful, leading to a few periods of time off work as I couldn't lift even a cup and saucer at one stage, let alone type!  After several visits to different doctors, a rheumatologist arranged for made-to-measure plastercast supports for each thumb - they worked a treat.  If you do actually have Heberden's Nodes, it might reassure you to know that the pain does improve and even disappear, even if sometimes, especially in winter, they stiffen somewhat.
    • Posted

Lynn,

ur description sounds so painful. My Hands are curled and deformed look more painful than they r. My biggest fear is people always want to shake Hands my fingers do not open so I try the fist pump.thats when the comments start. I hate to have to explain it but human nature is what it is. 

One thing that I wanted to share with u both a treatment for the pain is a hot lavender wax treatment on my hands. Really relaxing and keeps my fingers feeling better and my hands r so stiff. The hot wax is really warm and is the best treatment and lavender too. So to soften the stiff hands this has been a life savor.

A wax hand/ foot spa is available at a popular huge national stores or online,wax sold separately. I highly recommend it . That was part of PT  after hand surgery .. I am happy to have one for home. Go for it u will be glad u did! Treat urself!

many blessing sent UR way.

((hugs))

• Posted

hello lynn i am so ashamed of my hands all my fingers are lumped in all joints where can i buy the wax and spa or lavender can you explain how i aply it do i have to heat it up i would be so greatful to you if you can tell me thank you so much for the imformation i saw here and look forward to hearing from you .kind regards annie layden  i am 68 years of age......
  • Posted

Hi Lynne,

i too have developed a large nodule on my middle finger, another showing signs of growing on my index finger and also my thumb is now starting too. I'm 54 and up until 6 months ago had no idea they were on the way. I also get tingling and numbness in my fingers, especially my index and also get awful pain in my wrist from time to time.

i'm waiting to been seen by a rheumatologist to start treatment that can slow the process down I'm told. So I would make an appointment with the. Dr to talk through your options. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.