Arthritis in Hands

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all my hands lately like my wrist both have turns in being really sore.  Then my finger joints starting with my little fingers first joints swell a bit and are sore it seems to be spreading to the rest of my fingers is this arthritis could this be from steroids the GCA,PMR,Fibromyalgia I’m on 10 mg pred.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi alley, when I was 1st dx. with pmr, this problem with fingers, wrists and hands was one of my main complaints! I'm currently on 15mg and for the Most part, this seems to be working. I don't know tho', as I'm finding out, this seems to be a tricky disease, one that changes all the time! Hang in there!

• Posted

Hi Alley 2,   I have not had PMR for several months now after having it for 2 1/2 years.  I'm finding a similar problem, terrible pain espec. in my right 3rd finger.  Voltaren gel does not seem to help.  My internist said I could call a hand doctor to give me an injection in my finger.  I did take a terrible fall in June and was hosp. and in rehab for a long time with 3 broken pelvic bones.  I'm now pretty much healed, but do notice I seem to have more arthritic type pain throughout.  It makes one wonder.  Hope you get to the root of your  problem!

• Posted

Hi, I'm in a similar situation.Had pmr for about 1 1/2 years and have been able to come off steroids for about 6 or more weeks. Generally ok but do still get various aches which move around, aching hands is one of them especially small finger on right hand. However not so bad at present that it causes me to need any medication.

• Posted

I had hand wrist and knuckle joint pain just couple of months ago. After examination and ultrasound Rheumatologist was not sure if it was RA or synovial inflammation. He prescribed additional pred dose ( my dose was 3mg at the time, he prescribed 8mg ).  It all sorted out in about 4-6 weeks and now it is gone. 

I attribute the whole incident to inflammation due to overuse that cause synovitis.

If you have a chance, try to see rheumatologist, but the treatment  will be the same in the beginning - pred, even if it is RA.

• Posted

oh I forgot to add that I have PMR almost 3 years...
  • Posted

It is very unlikely to be due to the steroids - they are more likely to help. It is possibly due to PMR - I have hand problems though they don't usually swell. But it could well be inflammatory arthritis of some sort so worth speaking to your doctor about it.

About 1 in 6 patients with PMR go on to develop RA, whether it morphs or is a misdiagnosis isn't really clear, both are possible. Something called RS3PE syndrome along with PMR can cause swollen feet and hands, due to oedema, but it is all over the fingers and even into forearms but it also responds to moderate dose pred. As the dose falls various things may appear - and then the diagnosis may become clearer.

• Posted

Forgot to say - the tenosynovitis I had with PMR wasn't all fingers and affected both joints overall - rarely both on one finger though. It caused sharp, stabbing pains with use. 

• Posted

Hi Eileen what next just when things were starting to improve have appointment with gp Monday I’ll ask cause it is spreading quick.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.