Arthritis in hip and spine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good afternoon.

I am 49 year old, just been diagnosed with athritis in my left hip and lower back.

My mum was crippled with athritis and my grand mother also,

I feel really scared, signed up for physio last week and tomorrow i have my 1st appointment.

I work as a care assistant, and in the last couple of weeks have been unable to work, so i am letting my company down while being on the sick. I have been looking for a lighter job..... But no joy.

I am goinging to see mt GP tomorrow, and would like to know what type of questions do i ask??? Do i also ask for referral to the consultant aswell???

I am taking a concoction of pain relief..

Please Help

Lisa xx

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Lisa,

I was diagnosed with hip OA too. The G.P. told me I needed total hip replacement, in one hip and possibly the other later. This was confirmed by the consultant orthopaedic surgeon!

I have had tremendous advice and care from Susan. She helped me to diagnose, and treat, the problem myself. I know now that my stiffness and pain is from a muscle imbalance, caused by a twisted pelvis.

• Posted

Hi Claire

Thank you.

I have recieved the links from Susan.

i will certinally read through and study them.

Regards

Lisa xxx

• Posted

Strictly speaking we can't say that you know for sure until all symptoms are completely gone. But the fact that you get relief from treating the soft tissue AND that your symptoms match with a muscle imbalance that would cause symptoms mimicing OA means that it has to be thoroughly investigated. At the end of the day - reagardless of what's going on in your hip the muscle imablance is definitely contributing in a big way to your symptoms. It needs to be treated.

Lisa, there's a blog article about trigger point therapy for OA pain relief on my blog. Have a try at that - you'll find parts of the book I recomend online (I've put a link to it in the blog article). If you get some pain relief from massaging the trigger points it's info that will help guide your physio and persuade your doc that it needs to be looked into.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.