Arthritis in hips. Please help with any advice.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I need desperate advice about the pain in my hips.

My right hip started hurting back in 2014, when my only child was born. I had some bony lumps in my hand fingers and I knew it was some type of arthritis as it runs in the family ( mum’s side). Since then my pain got gradually worse. This year I had an x ray and found out I have some narrowing in the bone in my right hip which explains hurting so much but not all the time. Now my left hip in the groin started aching too so I’m in total panic 😨 because I’m really scared that it’s as well arthritis in the hip.  I’m 42 very soon, and I feel my life is going to be very hard to live with this constant pains and aches.I had blood work done to check for rheumatoid arthritis and it is negative but I know I can still have it. I can’t take NSAIDs because I have gastritis so how am I going to cope with two painful hips? I’m living in the UK ( born in Portugal), and I spend all of my time ( when not looking after my little daughter) reading and searching online for new treatments and even possible cure for this terrible disease. Has anyone had any success with some new treatment like stem cells or platelet plasma or injections to treat arthritis . Please someone let me know and God give us all the strength to live .. 😓thanks.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Can you post a picture of your hands?
  • Posted

Have you been examined by rheumatology yet? 

Anti-TNF treatments have completely revolutionised arthritis care in the last 15 years, dont be too disheartened. There are some issues with them as long term side effects are relatively unknown, and the very high cost is prohibitive to getting them on the NHS. But there is plenty hope there

Over the next 20 years Crispr CAS9 will likely completely change the face of medicine as we know it, there is plenty of hope to be found. 

https://www.technologynetworks.com/genomics/news/a-crispr-based-cure-for-arthritis-288219

• Posted

I haven’t because my doctor won’t refer me yet. She told me to take paracetamol for few weeks and then see her again!  She’s the doctor that send me to do the x Ray to my right leg and she knows I have arthritis. She has seen my hands too. I also had blood tests to rule out rheumatoid arthritis but they came back negative. I search about that and seronegative doesn’t mean you don’t have the disease and I know it runs in my family. Do you think a good rheumatologist will know if I got it? What other tests can show this.s? Thanks for the link 
    • Posted

Seronegative is common, I just means they need to look deeper for more indicators. GPs are not trained to make specific diagnosis of chronic disease(nor should/would they usually attempt to), if they suspected inflammatory arthritis you should nearly always be referred to rheumatology. Sadly with the poor NHS funding, rheumatology wait times can be frustratingly long, mine was 12 weeks from referral. If you are non-inflammatory arthritis (OA), it can be longer

Do you know if your CRP was elevated in the blood results?

Usually at the beginning they will take blood tests several weeks apart to look for trends(elevated CRP), this is normal and correct practice. It can feel frustrating because of the long wait period, but arthritis is a slow progressive disease so patience is a must, especially at the beginning.

• Posted

I don’t have any idea about what’s  CRP but can ask next time I see the GP. Thanks for explaining that. When you have pain what do you usually take? Opioids? Anti inflammatories? Unfortunately I cannot take either of them. Severe reaction to opioids. Do you feel pain all over your body or just the affected joints? How long do you have RA? Thanks
    • Posted

I'm sure your doctor will have checked your CRP if you have had blood tests. C-Reactive Protein is a simple way to see if you have active inflammation in your body.

I have psoriatic arthritis with systemic pain pretty much everywhere, pain management is very challenging. There is no solution that works for everybody, it's mostly trial and error until you find what works for you.

I don't want to worry you too much, especially as you don't appear to have a professional diagnosis yet. Not being able to take NSAIDs is problematic, best thing to do is keep the pressure up on your GP, perhaps getting more than one opinion. They are very busy people and it's important to be proactive.

• Posted

Hi Will,

Sorry about your health condition. I search it and it’s seems awful to live with. I assumed you have to take painkillers daily.

I can take NSAIDs but I should avoid them because I’ve been suffering with gastritis for some time, and that’s why doctor told me to take paracetamol instead. It’s helping a bit  with the pain but I feel the muscles are inflamed and aching constantly throughout the day. The pain goes around my groins and buttocks mainly. Also tender on both hips sides of the legs.

I’m starting to wonder if this is a thing called bursitis because is in both hips ( bilateral) and people with rheumatoid arthritis are also more prone to this. I don’t know if I have RA of course but it’s weird I started feeling pain in both hips area suddenly without any swelling or redness just tenderness on the sides when pressured.

I’ll have to see the GP if the pain is not getting better, I’m worry about what it is and I also feel tired more than usual . I think I have to try some anti inflammatory medicine before getting a referral to a rheumatologist. It’s a long wait anyway when you’re in daily pain...

hope me you can manage your pain the best you can . 

• Posted

Come off all processed sugar immediately.  Your body is so acidic. it isn't even funny.  Start taking turmeric, this is an anti-inflammatory. and will give your body oxygen.  If you want further advice reply back and will offer some suggestion that will help......

• Posted

Hi I’ve read that magnesium can be helpful for inflammation too. Either in cream, oil or powder. Do you agree?
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

I’m in more pain than ever.  I feel tired and start feeling depressed 😞

Until the beginning of November I had pain in my right hip only, and now I feel pain on my other side too. Paracetamol helped but only a bit. I stopped taking the pills. What else can I do? Is life over for me? I’m in a horrible pain almost constant during the day and now in bed too. I have a beautiful 3 year old daughter and i feel I can’t enjoy life because of this debilitating disease inherent from my mother. Life sucks with arthritis 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.