Arthritis in knee and strange muscle aches?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm back again, almost on month five now, and while my nausea has abated for now at least, it seems like arthritis has taken its place.

My left knee is stiff, sometimes feels weak, hurts on and off throughout the day, and pops with every single step. I've also been having dull aches in my calves, which feel different from the really bad ones I had when symptoms of mono first started, and my toes need to pop constantly. I was just wondering if anyone else has this and if you ever went to the doctor for it or found any ways to lessen it?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

i havent had this but from

a person who ran 5 miles most days... my legs are so heavy can barely walk some days. its all a BIG nightmare with many different side effects try not worry too much as im sure once we get this beast dormant many of the symptoms will go away .

try epsom salt baths for relaxtion and pain relief .

• Posted

Hi Lori,

I can hardly imagine how terrible that must be. I hardly ever exercised before, but I know for sure that I definitely couldn't now. I hope you feel better soon, and thank you for the advice.

• Posted

Hi Ciela,

Oh goodness I do hope these awful joint and muscle aches ease. I just wanted to write to let you know about a phase of the virus I went through, quite deep into it probably after about 9 months and in hindsight just before full recovery started to manifest, where I started experiencing terrible joint and muscle aches in my arms and legs. I got some weird bruising with it too and it brought me so low thinking I had all this to deal with on top of the virus.

I do remember at the time finding out and mono can also cause a 'reactive' or temporary kind of arthritis - in no way anything permanent - but another horrible symptom and phase of the virus that does pass over. After a month or so things started to settle down and looking back I actually think this was kind of like my body starting the processing of kicking this thing into touch for good. So in a strange way it might actually mean that your body is coming towards the end of this virus and nearer to the full recovery phase - I do hope and pray that is the case Ciela, just wanted you to know there is hope and that this kind of thing can happen with mono and get better for sure. I do hope you have a good doctor who can offer the right kind of help and advice with this, and that this pain eases soon it sounds awful and remember you WILL get through this and I still believe you will make a FULL recovery Ciela and be free of this horrible virus and these aches and pains once and for all with a littl more time. Thinking of you and sending hugs and best wishes from Scotland.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

Thank you so much for replying and for your well wishes. Last I saw, you were going through a rough patch so I hope that you're doing a lot better now. I was also wondering if you (or anyone else you've seen on the forums) has had arm and leg weakness? I've been having it for the last week too and it's really worrying me since even my arms tire out quickly and can hold as much weight as usual. Even a wool coat felt too heavy to wear for long today.

• Posted

Hi Ciela,

Thanks for the kind words and best wishes too, I really do appreciate that. Still been going through some issues right now, hoping and praying God can get us all through the things bothering us and trying to hold us back from peace and good health and freedom right now in Jesus' name according to His will for our lives.

I do remember having those aches and pains in my arms and legs when I went through mono, it was a long time ago when I had it and hard to remember everything but I do know I was bothered with all sorts of awful symptoms and it was only down to God that I was able to get over it all. I do hope that things settle soon, just want to reassure you that what you're going through I think can be normal for this virus but of course always wise to check in with the doc.

You will get there and get better Ciela, I truly believe that knowing how it went for me and how God heals. Just cope with each day as it comes and not look far ahead is so important with this thing, it's so draining and wearying I know and remember get plenty of rest and if you can distract your mind or do something nice for yourself to help keep spirits up, I know it's much easier said than done. Also talking about how you have been feeling with someone you trust, close friend or family member too, all these things were priceless to me during recovery.

Thinking about you and absolutely believing that with a little time, you are going to be FULLY well again - I believe that truly in my heart Ciela, hang in there and just take things slowly for now.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Ciela,

I have been wondering if others have these symptoms too. Arm and leg weakness along with my headache my most troubling symptoms at this stage. I'm in month 10......quite bewildering. I can't undertand why this has turned up......how are you doing now?

Kiki

• Posted

Hi kikisan,

I have to say, this was the most confusing part for me as well, especially since only one of these (The aches) was present when I was first diagnosed. I'm a tiny bit better than when I posted this currently, but my symptoms are better or worse depending on the day.

I still have brain fog, extreme fatigue, increased anxiety, and some unsteadiness (mostly when I feel weak). My knee still pops though the last few days it hasn't been as severe, and my fingers, neck, and toes pop a lot more than usual still, but they aren't disruptive - just odd. My knee is still stiff and aching on and off, but it really depends more on the day and how much I move around - if try to overdo it, my knee will hurt, but if I do too little everything is really stiff, it's a delicate balance. The arm and leg weakness still comes and goes, but I realized a few days ago that I was dehydrated and after drinking quite a bit of water and tea, the weakness wasn't half as bad. So definitely make sure you don't get dehydrated as I have done several times already, it makes everything 10x worse.

I hope you get to feeling better soon, this virus takes so much out of us in both body and mind, and can be very frustrating, especially after so much time.

• Posted

Thinking of you both Ciela and Kiki - reading your messages on different threads just hit home to me how much suffering you have both been through - there is hope, there is recovery ahead for you both still - I truly believe it. Just hoping and praying for breakthrough for you both very soon, we might be weary now but God will give us the strength to get through it and lead us onto safe ground again.

Craig

• Posted

And just to reiterate that I went through this awful phase of joint and muscle pain well into the virus, it frightened me so much but it is a phase that passes and it can be very normal during the recovery process - so try not to worry and panic hard as it is I know. I remember reading at the time that the virus can cause a kind of temporary arthritis in the body, by no means anything permanent and one of the awful phases of the virus but it does pass over and get better again and leaves no lasting ill effects.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.