Arthritis in the AC Joint

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello! I am 25, and currently 3 month post opp from a post labrum tear and distal ac joint surgery.

I am unfortunately still in pain in my AC Joint, and I noticed I still have a bump, but it’s more soft(like a gel feeling)

I was told I had arthritis in it, but I thought for sure the surgery would help!

Has anyone experienced or experiencing this? Just trying to figure out a solution for the pain! Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't have a solution for you hun. I don't even know what those words mean . In fact I'm guessing it was in your knee ? But that's not why I'm replying... I have had chronic back pain for 15 years and I have also acquired osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and something called polymyalgia rheumatica so you know that I know pain.

if your surgeon cannot get this pain under control soon then I want you to ask for a referral to a pain management doctor . seeing a pain management doctor does not mean you have to take opiates . And I strongly urge you to try everything else before you go to that. And I am definitely not opposed to taking opiates for pain. I personally took them for many years.

I also think it's very important for you to start taking physical therapy. surely your surgeon suggested that. I am assuming you already take something over-the-counter type pain medicine. If that's not enough or not working then I might suggest you try CBD oil but only if it's legal in your area.

regardless I think you just need to give this more time . having osteoarthritis in your knee is not going to be the end of the world since you are so young . It may be quite simple that once your knee is completely healed you can get a steroid injection in that joint which will help with the you can get a steroid injection in that joint which will help with the pain because it reduces the inflammation.

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Simplymie

How are you doing now? I have had pain in my right shoulder for four months. My doctor sent me for physio which is not doing anything for me so far. My AC joint is very tender to touch, I think that is my problem. I haven't had any accident or injury there so it must be arthritic changes. I am going to suggest this to my physio, so far she has said my problem is due to forward head posture. I cannot sleep on my right side and sometimes the pain keeps me awake at night. Does this sound similar to your symptons?

• Posted

Hi! Yes, my although I ended up having a slap tear, my AC joint was my main and only source of GREAT pain. I had the symptoms of a slap tear, but only from the clicking and grinding my arm would make. My AC Joint was VERY tender to touch, it felt like a mushy bone when pressed down. It started off small, but got knot sized. I would definitely see an orthopedic and get yourself a MRI. Preferably a Joint MRI. It hurts, but gives a clear reading. Although my tear didn’t even show. Prior to the MRI, I had several steroid shots, including direct ones super close to the ac joint. They helped at first for a while I’d say, but eventually they stopped. I did PT, which was a waste(definitely needed after surgery, and you will actually thank them! Lol) then a nerve block in my neck, then surgery. I opted for the surgery and I’m glad I did. Surgery isn’t as bad as everyone makes it seem. Although you do need to trust the process, like, a lot.

Try and get the MRI. Best of luck, and I remembered my login so I’ll check back for an update

• Posted

Hi , hope you're doing ok. I questioned mg AC joint with my physiotherapist and pointed to the top of my shoulder where it was tender and she told me that my AC joint was more to the front of my shoulder and not where I was pointing. Anyhow, still getting problems in my shoulder and neck but I do think the physio exercises are helping. She told me to do shoulder shrugs also but I think this makes things worse so I've stopped doing them and will mention this when I see her later this month. So far have only had two sessions with her and she said 12 weeks should show a marked improvement. Watch this space!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.