Arthritis of the fingers

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi just a quick question

I have Arthritis of the fingers these look like small lumps at the end of my fingers, over the last couple of months i have small lumps developing on the palms of my hands does anyone know if this is related to arthritis please .

appreciate any help

take care

Tom

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Arthritis nodes on the hands (ie Bouchard's or Heberden's) are usually only on the joints or end of joints. Not heard of them developing on the palms of the hands but it would be worth asking your doctor's opinion. Best way to prevent or at least ease arthritis nodes is exercise, keeping the joints moving and flexible really really helps lessen the problem. Obviously many people will need pain relief or anti inflammatories once they have them too.

• Posted

Morning Loxie

thank you for your advice i met an old friend yesterday who has the same small lumps on his palms he has been diagnosed with something called Dupuytren,s contracture, i have never heard of it.

when all of this is over i will give my GP a visit.

thanks for all your help

take care

Tom

• Edited

Hi Annmarie - Sgt Lindalee has helpfully given some info on Dupuytren's - it could possibly be that therefore. Many years ago when I was in banking I had a customer with it. He was french but lived and worked in England. He decided however to go back to France for surgery. The good news is that they did his surgery as an outpatient and he was back within a week and it had greatly improved his hands. Lindalee's advice about massage and heat etc., is very helpful.

• Posted

Hi Loxie, Thanks for sharing that story, its very helpful to hear of overcoming the problem, not just knowing what it is!! BEST WISHES💒🎶♾🐾🌈🍀☮

• Edited

Hi Tom, There is a condition called Dupytrens Contracture(spelling?)...it causes little knots on the tendons in the palms of your hands...if you look it up or ask your Dr....they should be easy to diagnose...if left alone, they tend to get worse, it can start to cause (the pulling in and bending, due to shortening the tendons)contraction of the 3 outer fingers(pinky, ring, middle) sometimes the other finger & thumb, one or both hands...its common with people who do manual labour, jack hammering, construction... with repeated fine motor skills, too...some of the same things that cause arthritis, there are injections and worse case, surgery but, can be successful though, my husband has them and so do I...they seem to flare up at times, then get better, not sure if movement/exercise helps but, mild straightening of the fingers & massage, heat, seem to help...it can probably prolong surgical intervention...Good Luck, its the only thing I know for sure(I have arthritis in my hands too) BEST WISHES💒🎶♾🌈🐾🍀☮

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.