Arthritis of the wrist

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've just been diagnosed with arthritis of the wrist which is extremely painful I actually have a bone protruding out of the side i also have permanent sciatica and spinal stenosis my doctor seems to think I'm suffering with fibromyalgia because of other various symptoms I have I'm starting to feel really depressed I'm only 49 I can't imagine what it's going to be like as I get older can arthritis be heireditory

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Wilma.  There is a forum on patient.info for fibromyalgia.  Others will be able to help you on there.

Regardung arthritis - it can be/often is heireditory.  I have polyarthritis (including wrists).  I find warmth helps.  I wear tubular bandages when they are at their worst (often in the middle of the night).

Please ask if you have any other questions.

• Posted

I've had painful wrists ( among other bits! ) for several years. One of the biggest helps to me was a referral to our local NHS Occupational Therapist. The splints she prescribed are a huge help when I do things like slicing a loaf or anything involving lifting e.g. changing duvet covers.

She also gave me good advice about wax baths. I had a couple of sessions for my hands and was so impressed I bought myself a Therabath which I use on painful days. Just wish I could work out a way to get my feet into it. Doesn't cure anything, of course, but does give great comfort.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.