Arthritis or something else?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm a 28M who is 6"5 and obese. I've lately been having knee pain in both my knees although my left is slightly worse. The pain is minor but noticable, and extended walking seems to make it feel better. It's the worst when I'm sitting and only walk a short distance before sitting again. At rest I feel a slight burning, but almost in a good way, like it's repairing. The pain feels like it's around the kneecap toward the front.

I'm wondering if this sounds like arthritis pain or something else?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

sorry, it's probably me, but I didn't quite understand your post.  You say extended walking seems to make it feel better, it's worst when sitting, but at rest there is a slight burning, but almost in a good way, like it's repairing.  I'm wondering if by rest you mean lying in bed?  

I'm unable to walk very far, but walking any distance does increase the pain in my knees and resting decreases the pain, which seems to be the other way with yours. 

I don't know if you have arthritis, but I have read that 1 pound of excess weight exerts about 4 pounds of extra pressure on the knees and whilst losing weight is not easy for some people, if you could manage to lose some, it would hopefully help your pain.  It may be an idea to see your GP who may want you to have some Xrays to see what's going on.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and sorry for any confusion.

It seems like extended walking tends to make my pain go away, such as going to the store or walking the dog. But small walks tend to hurt the most, such as going from computer to bathroom, almost like they need to warm up.

I am course dealing with very early stage arthitis if it is in fact that, so I wouldn't expect it to be so bad that I can't walk far...yet.

I have been working vigililantly to lose weight and doing quite well, I just fear it's too late. Not going to stop me from losing the weight of course, but causing me a good bit of stress.

• Posted

Joints when they haven't been moved near to warm up. Look at athletes they spend lots of time warming up their joints, suspect you could be the same. Once you get the weight off your joints will thank you. I find that a round of golf is excellent physio for my hands but it's always hard when I first start. 

• Posted

almost certainly the onset of arthritis, due to the excessive wear and tear being placed on the knee joint.  It's a double whammy for you firstly because of your height, which instantly means more problems on the joints and secondly because of your weight.  Speak to your doctor.  Anti inflammatories will help, not only with the pain but also to keep the joint from becoming more inflamed.  I know you've probably been told this a million times, but only weight loss will ultimately stop the damage increasingly swiftly.

• Posted

If it is the beginning of arthritis, all is not lost.  Carry on with your weight loss, and keep on walking!  Be gentle however, no running until you've lost more weight, and if you do take it up in the futre introduce it very gradually.  Consider taking glucosamine supplements.  I've used them for many years and since initial diagnosis at age forty of osteoarthritis, which I'd probably had in some joints earlier, there has in the subsequent thirty (!) years been very little progression.  I take two doses of 1000 mg a day, but I am a fairly small female, so check and see if a higher dose is safe for you.  I also make sure to have a source of omega 3 fatty acids, take a complete E and complete B vitamins supplements, and exercise every day.

A physiotherapist can help you by prescribing exercises which will strengthen the supporting muscles.  A weakness on one side, relative to the other, can actually be a source of pain as the knee is pulled slightly upon impact.

Good luck!  Let us know how you get on! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.