Arthritis related elbow replacement

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am probably going to have to undergo a full elbow replacement at some point in the near future.  I just wanted to know of anyone else’s experience of this and where you had the operation.  I am 58 and aware that this particular procedure can have a limited life span

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Teresa, I’m sorry if my reply doesn’t really help. I fell on my elbow & completely destroyed it & fractured my lower arm as well so I had a radial head replacement & metal work to prevent me losing my lower arm. I was operated on in Cheshire (UK) after having an external fixator. My arm remained in plaster for about 6 weeks then I was put in an arm brace at different angles for months. I did all the physio & now my elbow is back to about 90% of normal. I can do most things with difficulty. I am now nearly 12 months from the day of the accident & still having physio. I’m a 61year old female. Please ask anything if you think I can help. 

• Posted

Hi fizzy - that all sounds terrific painful indeed.  I do not know yet what type of operation I will have to have - I think the concensus is a total replacement which may be the same as yours?  It is not a common op - i have not as yet met anyone in my position so its good to connect with this group.  I am worried about how much this will impact on my life - this and the RA in my wrists and hands.  It sounds as if physio will be very important so i am encouraged that its helped although it seems like a long road.   I am in a fair amount of pain and very restricted in my daily life so it will have to be done in the end.  I have been referred to the nuffield at Oxford 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.