Arthrodesis-Anyone have this?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am considering arthrodesis (A surgery to immobilize your joint by screwing a plate onto the bones) for my wrist which has become quite bad from osteo and inflammatory arthritis. I am worried It will not really relieve pain for the loss of movement involved. If anyone had this and tell me what you are like afterwards, I would appreciate it!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I was offered fusion of my right ankle joint . I asked about pain relief, mobility, etc etc. and was told that pain from movement would obviously be relieved but inflammation could still occur and this may cause pain even after fusion of the joint. Also, the joint would be permanently and irreparably without flex movement and this could cause knock on problems, eg altered gait causing future knee problems in that leg and excessive wear and tear on the left leg which would take the strain afterwards. I declined as it seemed extreme to be permanently disabled for only minor benefits. Things to consider with a hand are, is this your dominant hand and will fusing the joint present you with major difficulties in terms of day to day life thereafter. Will there still be the chance of inflammatory pain even after surgery. How long will the recovery be. I have OA in both thumbs joints but will not consider surgery as recovery times are very lengthy. Have you exhausted every other option for pain relief prior to considering a drastic and permanent option such as fusing the joint?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.