arthrofibrosis...what to expecr

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

has anyone had an arthrofibrosis surgery. please share your experience. I had a lysis of adhesions almost 4 months ago and i barely see any improvement. I want to know if my surgery failed or not.

I am still having knee pain when walking, and still missing 10 degrees of extension, and about 20 degrees of flexion

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your surgery has not failed.  If it had, you would not be walking. Lysis is the thickening of the scar tissue. A lot of the time you need to exercise and bend the knee.  Don't stress about the degree of bend, that is unimportant.  In order to get the bend you have to strengthen the muscles, also like catch 22, if you don't do one the other will suffer and vice versa.  Of course it will hurt when you walk, you have had your bone chopped off and a metal joint is in its place, your muscles are under developed and your mending nerves are sending your brain into a tizzy.  If you really are worried, see your doctor, he will say the same thing about the operation as will the surgeon, if your scarring is dried and healed use bio oil or any natural oil and massage it into the scarred area, knead it into your skin.  There are a lot of things you can be doing, one of them is being positive.  One way of bending your knee properly is to walk down stairs slowly, with emphasis on bending as you go down, if you cannot do it, don't give up, walk down backwards again slowly. Being despondent is normal ,but you have to fight it
  • Posted

hi suzie. bending isn't too much of an issue, you're right. However, extension is causing me all thr problems. i did not have a tkr. My original surgery was acl. its recovery time is short compared to tkr. my friends have had the surgery and they are back to jogging within 3 to 4 months of having the surgery.

my lysis of adhesion was not so successful as the surgeon was still not able to get me to 0 degrees of extension. that's not even counting hyperextension! he considered releasing my posterior calsule, but thought it was not worth it for 5 degrees. As it turns out, 5 degrees matters a lot to me as im unable to walk without pain. unfortunatel, my extension has worsened since the arthrofibrosis surgery. it is now at 10 degrees or maybe even worse.

i'm going back in 2 months, which is too long of a wait. i'll try to get in sooner

• Posted

First off, do not be envious of your friends.  Everyone is different.  Have you thought of acupuncture. You don't really feel the needles, they are so thin + they are put into certain points. There is also gels that help dissipate scars, though I should image your scarring is more acute to benefit, but it is just a thought.  Some people are prone to excess scarring, it is not fun, but not having experienced it, I am sorry I cannot offer anything of help.  

I hope you find relief soon, but please, do not envy those who are up and running, yes they are lucky, but the last thing you need, is to get despondent, you lose perspective and healing will suffer as you will always doubt

• Posted

you have offered many different possible solutions, so thank you. the physio i used to go to had accupuncture and the gel, but didn't think it would do me any use. unfortunatel, i'll just have to wait until i see my surgeon.

• Posted

You don't have to wait til you see your surgeon to have acupuncture.  You never know til you try it. Sometime medics are sceptical about alternative therapy. But I wish you luck.  Go to go, am up at 6😱

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.