Arthroplasty surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

I hope someone can answer this question I have a 75 year old significant other who has two very bad knees he has gone to one orthopedic doctor who recommended a tkr he went to see his medical doctor who told him that he needed a second opinion and gave him the name of a doctor to go see that this doctor does a procedure in patients over 75 the procedure is arthroplasty and I was wondering exactly what that is and is it just as good as having a a tkr? both of his knees are bad and he has to have surgery on them both so any advice I can get it would be very helpful thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Colleen .

I sure an Arthroplasty is same as a knee replacement .

regards

Linda

• Posted

My understanding is that this can be anything from knee replacement or where joint is remodeled or realigned by osteotomy or some other procedure. Best wishes to you both!

• Posted

He may be referring to arthroscopy.

As far as I know this doesn't last very long but you can research it.

This is from a website called UpToDate:

Arthroscopy — Arthroscopy is a minimally invasive surgical procedure in which a doctor examines the inside of a joint with a device called an arthroscope. The doctor can repair any damage through small surgical incisions in the skin. Arthroscopy is only helpful for a certain type of knee problems. Arthroscopic surgery has not demonstrated significant benefit for patients with osteoarthritis [2].

• Posted

you may mean when they have a look and tidy up meniscus , minimally invasive but not always effective ! i had it a waste of time .

• Posted

I had 2, both complete waste of time. Had to have Tkrs in the end.20 & 18½ years ago, both still ok.

• Posted

What you describe is a Total Knee Replacement. It is a serious operation and takes a long time to heal completely, so you need to think this through before under going. If your significant other is healthy and active, this surgery can be a blessing! I am 63 and had it done on my right knee almost 3 months ago. I am fairly healthy and am pretty active. I still work outside the home and am on my feet, alot. That being said, I still have difficulties doing things and will continue to be going to physical therapy after I return to work. To have this surgery is not an easy decision, so please find out all you can about the plus and minuses and good luck to you both.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.