Arthroscopic and Manipulation

Posted , 3 users are following.

I saw one of my surgeons this evening concerning my knee bend and the problem with the heel while using the bicycle. This is what I was told: my knee only bends to 100 - I thought that it was higher since the last measurement was 115. At one point back in December it was bending to 118. The doctor wants me to go see one of his associates for the possibility of performing arthroscopic surgery to remove the adhesions and also do a manipulation. However, I am almost 8 months post TNR and I have Fibromyalgia. Has anyone has these procedures done after 3 months. If you have, please let me know. The doctor the suggested this has been my doctor for a few years, but he was not the one who did my TNR. I had my TNR at the Mayo Clinic because I reside in Florida. However, my mother is very sick and I have been in NY for the last 2 months. Is complicated. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance - J-21370

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Do you want it done? That seems the question to ask. Flexion does vary and as far

As I know could continue to improve with time... if your mother is very sick it might be rather a lot to take on

But I don't have any personal experience of manipulation and how disruptive or not it is.

• Posted

Thanks Jenny for responding to my question. I really don't know what to do. I can bend my knee but not to 120. I could walk with no problem. When I excercise it does hurt, but sometimes I take something and ice it and the pain gets better. My concern is that let's say that I don't do anything and my knee continues to go back. Because in December the bend was 118 and now the doctor says that is about 100. J21370

• Posted

If it were my knee i would leave it alone and just make sure i continued exercising

Daily, I would find the prospect of having it treated in another way too

Much at an already difficult time. I don't see why it would get worse

As long as exercising continued, have they actually said it will get worse

Or is that just your fear? If it is functional which it sounds like it is,

Then what is a random number? However, it is not my knee of course!

It's a decision only you are well placed to make. I would consider your mental and

Emotional stamina as a major factor.

• Posted

Hi Jenny -- today I went to see the surgeon for a second opinion. He said to wait a few more months because TNR takes a year to get rid of the pain and get the full bend. He said to continue with the exercising every other day and I will get there. I am staying positive. He also is going to order a brace for my knee. I hope that my insurance will pay at leadt 80 percent. 🙏🏼Take care. J21370

• Posted

That sounds good, you have the right attitude , all myy best wishes to you and yes, please God, may the insurance pay for it....x
  • Posted

That's what I wondered J - you haven't got enough bend to get your foot right into the strap when the leg is extended, so the strap isn't holding the foot well enough.  My bend was 115 when I started using the bike and I could JUST about manage it like that.  If it were me, I'd base the decision on how well I could manage every day life.  Good luck though!

• Posted

I had my tkr in July of 2016. I had a manipulation in October, a scope in January and a second manipulation a couple of weeks ago. All because of how quickly my scar tissue forms. Up until a few months ago I couldn't straighten my leg. It would only go to about 17 degrees whereas it should be zero. I'm now around 8 degrees, and can at least live with that. I can only bend it to around 85 degrees. Google suggests that it's a condition called arthrofibrosis. There are less than 20 doctors in the US that specialize in it. One of them is at Mayo. The demand is much greater than his availability, so I've not been successful at getting an appointment. You may have better luck since your tkr was at Mayo. It's Dr. Matthew Abdel in Rochester, MN.

So, to answer your question, I've had two manipulations past three months. Neither of them had any sustainable success for me. Hopefully you'll have better luck. I know that my surgeon would be thrilled if I could get to 100 degrees of flexion. (as would I) He said that there aren't any options left for me, although he may consider removing my knee and replacing it with one made of a different material if I don't see any improvement down the road.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Thanks for responding. I am so sorry that you are going through all this. I had my TKR at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida. The doctor has a lot of experience but you never know how things are going to turn out. I should have had the manipulation in early February, but he gave me a choice of going back to PT or the manipulation. Of course, I choice the easy way out. However, having the manipulation and scoping the knee is not guaranteed that I would be able to bend the knee. I have no problem in straightening the leg is just the bending. However, when I walk no one can tell. But my knee hurts. I know that is tough and I wish you a lot of luck that you will be able to accomplish your goal. Again, thank you. J31370

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.