arthroscopic chondroplasty

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had  arthroscopic chondroplasty 12 days ago.  A part of me is happy I got it done and the other part says why did you do this to yourself.  

I started physcial therapy the day after.  It was very light that day and as time went on I have done more.  But I can't stand or walk without the immobilizer on.  The therapist wanted me to take off the brace Friday and when I did I couldn't walk.  I told her I have stairs and how do I get up them.  She didn't work with me on that at all.

So when I got home, I had to crawl up my stairs to my room.  The pain was so bad that my whole body was shaking.  My doctor said that I should build up to work myself out of my brace.  

I can't stand, or walk with out a brace.  My muscles in my leg are so tight that it hurts to bend my knee.  When I walk with crutches and no brace my leg drags and I can't step with it.

Will this get better, because I need this to get better.  I am a mom and stuck in a bad place right now.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry you are having a bad time. I'm 5 weeks post op and able to walk a good few hundred metres now without crutches. I started with quad strengthening exercises straight away; trying to raise my leg and then straighten it and clenching my thigh muscles. It wasn't comfortable but that and walking in water at the swimming pool has really helped. I've still got quite a way to

Go. My knee is still swollen and inflamed but hoping in time this will reduce. You need a good physio and try and stick to what they tell you. I hope you recover soon. 12 days after my op I was still using crutches, never wore a brace so hopefully things will soon ease for you.

Good luck

Debra

• Posted

Hi I'm so sorry you are in so much pain, I had mine done 4 weeks ago, and like you was so sorry I did, but this last week has been a whole lot better, you need ice packs on it as many times as you can during the day, the gentle exercises that the physio gave you helps as well, do them as much as you can, wish you luck

• Posted

Thank you both for your kind words.  I have had a few bad days feeling frustrated.  But my physio person did some deep tissue massage and it hurt so bad but now it is getting better.  I am doing all the work he has me doing but now I am doing it 2 times a day.  He said sometimes some people have issues and I am one of the lucky ones to have the issues.  At therapy we are working both legs since I will be having the other knee done later this year.
  • Posted

I had the same precedure 8 weeks ago. I was never placed in an immobilizer...I was told to bend and straighten as much as toloerated. However I stumble 2 days after surgery and hurt quad muscles. I couldnt weight bare or bend much. Doc said to ice and elevate, which I did for 2 weeks. I think thats what made it worse because I wasnt bending it. Now I can bend it 90 ish degrees with little pain. full leg lifts are fine, but lifting from my knee down( just the foot) sends sharp pains in/around my knee cap. I take advantage of stairs to bend the knee more, sitting and bending it as much as possible, stationary bike, etc. I found that while in a warm bath, bend and straighten several times helps. Also, if you can get an electrical massager and places pads on your knee and quad while icing stimulates the areas. When I couldnt do full leg lifts, I started by tightening my whole leg, and trying to lift it at least an inch. It got better. Stairs: lead with your non-surgery leg going up; surgery leg going down, holding the rails of course. Also, I got a lacross ball and rolled it in the area of my quad that hurt the most to work out the tightness...kind of like self deep tissue massage...hard enough to hurt, only as much as you can handle.

Good luck!

Good luck!

• Posted

We sound like twins.  But Tuesday we figured out what is causing the leg not to bend.  I have a large amount of scar tissue built up that goes from my top incision to my bottom one.  It is not allowing my leg to bend past 90.  

So I have a post op appointment on the 15th.  If we can't get the leg to bend to atleast 135 then surgery will likely take place.  But I am going to see if we can do the one where they don't cut you open again.

It is called a surgical bend.  They put you under and bend your knee all the way to break the scar tissue.  Fingers crossed I don't have to have surgery.  But if I do I hope it fixes it

• Posted

Wow, hope you don't have to do the surgery thing again. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.